• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

South Dakota Ice Fishing

icewoman

I am wondering if anyone has ever fished South Dakota in the winter. Looking for suggestions on destinations, lodging and possible guide service? I think I would stick to the eastern half of the state if possible, don't want to have to drive across the state.

Been to Roy lake 3 times awesome place to stay and fish.We did real good on Perch and Northern.The cabin we had we could walk out the back door right on to the lake maybe 30 feet away.My bunch is going back up end of Dec.ICE JOHN

Year to year the "hot" lake up there changes. If you stay in the Brookings area, Thompson (Walleyes, Jumbo Perch, Slab Crappies), Whitewood (JUMBO Perch), and Brush Lake (Eyes) are great options for that area.

If you head up to Webster, the hot lake last winter was Piyas - I'd be careful heading there this year since it got hit really hard last year. Otherwise, Waubay is a solid bet for eyes and perch. Enemy Swim, Buffalo, and Pickeral are all solid lakes as well. Roy Lake can be a bit tough to fish in the winter, but if you can find a local who knows it I wouldn't doubt that it could be great too. There are tons of smaller lakes around that are worth exploring as well. Have fun!