Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prov1900

Hand Auger Considerations

7 posts in this topic

I want to buy a Nils hand auger this year. Does anyone own one and is the 6" or the 8" the way to go? I already have a SM LazerMag (10 years old), but want to lighten the load in the early season. The advertisements say that the Nils will cut through thick ice in short order. True?

I have the Nils and the hand auger is crazy fast. I have the 8" but the 6" would be even faster of course. Once you learn the handle angle and how to crank it you can go through ice in a serious quickness. Its the fastest hand auger I have used and I have what I think is the second fastest wich is the Strikemaster Lazer hand auger in a 8".

Both are fast but I see a big difference in the Nils and Lazer.

Like I said getting down the proper technique with the Nils is key. Once you do that your off to the races.

As with any auger take care of the blades and make sure to cover them when not used and you will be fine. Be very careful putting the balde cover ona nd off. Those baldes are razor sharp.

You picked the right one for a hand auger. I would rate these the best 3 hand augers...

1. Nils Master

2. Fin Bore III

3. Strikemaster Lazer

Just remember to take care of any auger blades and never bang them into the ice.

Swags where did you see the Fin Bore 111 at? I have been looking into them but cant find them anyplace. Do you know how much they cost? E-mail me the info please at the below addy.

Never heard of that brand until now. I did some quick research and apparently people are leaving their gas augers behind...forever. It also looks like Canadian Tire may have a hookup with these. Hemlock, do you know anything about these?

I found them on a Normark site and they look just like a Nils hand auger with strikemaster blades.

I think Ill stick with my Nils. I know the Nils blades are faster than my strikemasters.

And I ordered a Nils from Cabelas today. Wanted to get it early before the season started. Thanks for the advice...always appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I have nothing good to say about his presidency
    • So they called Reilly back up, but part of me is kind of hoping that Prosser plays. Earlier this year he was very solid. You never get elite level from him, but I think he was dependable out there and I have been a big critic of his for a long time. The ceiling is obviously higher for Reilly and I want him to be a regular at some point, but if he isn't going to get 10 mins a night he is better off in Iowa and play Prosser. What impresses me are these numbers: 141 goals for (Tied 4th), 96 goals against (tied #2), +45 differential (#2). When was the last time a Wild team was in the top 5 in goals scored? We have a very balanced team and it is fun to watch, which this balance is also why slumps by Parise and Pominville don't kill this team or at least haven't until this point. I will say it again, I was a huge proponent of signing Staal. NO, I didn't think he was going to be leading our team in scoring, but what I was excited about was that it would mean that Coyle/Granlund could play wing where they should be. Those two are playing great overall and both have been playing wing pretty much entire season thus far. We can also thank Gravovac for his role too because without him, one of the two would be playing center most likely.
    • I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted, but I was able to take my new fish house out on the ice last weekend.  Fishing was slow for most of the weekend, but we had a good time otherwise.   I have some of the lights and tv mounted up temporarily till I start putting up the carsiding.  I'm just a little nervous about starting on the carsiding until I know exactly how to do my lift bunks.  I'd hate to put all that up and realize I don't have my furring in the right spot.   Furnace ducts are also ran temporarily, they'll be covered by cabinets when it's all said and done.  Most of the day saturday we didn't need the furnace anyways.  The sun kept it 10 degrees higher than what we set the furnace at!   Right now she's nothing pretty, but she got the job done without any problems on her initial trip.
    • Cooter ol' pal,  I think maybe you tend to skip over your inherent decency when you refer to President Obama as " a POS" My guess is you actually have a little more respect than that for a man to did the heavy lifting for the US for eight years and,  on more than one occasion,   has proven he is a decent man who really cares about the issues we face. You can disagree of course with some things-or all things for that matter-the man has done but he DOES deserve your respect. He is definitely not,  as you put it "a POS" and I'd guess you really have more class than that.
  • Our Sponsors