• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Auger Considerations

prov1900

I want to buy a Nils hand auger this year. Does anyone own one and is the 6" or the 8" the way to go? I already have a SM LazerMag (10 years old), but want to lighten the load in the early season. The advertisements say that the Nils will cut through thick ice in short order. True?

I have the Nils and the hand auger is crazy fast. I have the 8" but the 6" would be even faster of course. Once you learn the handle angle and how to crank it you can go through ice in a serious quickness. Its the fastest hand auger I have used and I have what I think is the second fastest wich is the Strikemaster Lazer hand auger in a 8".

Both are fast but I see a big difference in the Nils and Lazer.

Like I said getting down the proper technique with the Nils is key. Once you do that your off to the races.

As with any auger take care of the blades and make sure to cover them when not used and you will be fine. Be very careful putting the balde cover ona nd off. Those baldes are razor sharp.

Never heard of that brand until now. I did some quick research and apparently people are leaving their gas augers behind...forever. It also looks like Canadian Tire may have a hookup with these. Hemlock, do you know anything about these?