• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle vs Lowrance differences in fishfinders??

Question

Ok, so Im in Gander Mtn this week and notice that the Eagle and Lowrance fishfinders are alomst identical. Eagle has a Fishmark 160 that is identical to the Lowrance X71. Same resolution, same features, same buttons in the same places. Except the Eagle is $60 cheaper. The clerk said he didnt know of any differences and thought they may use the same parts etc...

Eagle has the Fishmark 240, exactly like the Lowrance X91 as well, except the Lowrance has more watts power, but everything else is the same...except $80 on the price tag.

Basically, for every unit Lowrance has now...Eagle has something pretty much identical...except its $40-$90 cheaper.

Has anyone used the Eagle fishfinders much. What are the differences between these companies? Just look at them and they look identical.

[This message has been edited by tjwierz2 (edited 10-15-2002).]

10 answers to this question

Ok, so Im in Gander Mtn this week and notice that the Eagle and Lowrance fishfinders are alomst identical. Eagle has a Fishmark 160 that is identical to the Lowrance X71. Same resolution, same features, same buttons in the same places. Except the Eagle is $60 cheaper. The clerk said he didnt know of any differences and thought they may use the same parts etc...

Eagle has the Fishmark 240, exactly like the Lowrance X91 as well, except the Lowrance has more watts power, but everything else is the same...except $80 on the price tag.

Basically, for every unit Lowrance has now...Eagle has something pretty much identical...except its $40-$90 cheaper.

Has anyone used the Eagle fishfinders much. What are the differences between these companies? Just look at them and they look identical.

[This message has been edited by tjwierz2 (edited 10-15-2002).]

Eagle and Lowrance finders are made by the same company. The only thing i have "heard" is that some internal parts are higher quality in the lowrance (ie gold connectors), but they are basically the same units.
That being said, i have had an eagle ultra 160x160 for 6 years and its been great (wont even die so i can move up to a 240x240!)
I really think performance really depends on the operator. About 3 years ago i spent a considerable amount of "onthewater" time experimenting to really learn how to use/read it. By using the unit in manual and the split zoom feature i can get very good bottom seperation. Then last year I used a underwater camera to learn even better what different bottom contents look like on the locator, small rock vs larger, sand vs muck etc.
My fishing partner (wife) used to laugh at all the "fishes" on the screen. Now when i till her that we are passing over a couple of 'eyes and to get ready for a hit, she believes. She was quite impressed the first few times this happened and she hooked up just after "the warning" grin.gif Now it is expected out of me, and she's disappointed if she doesnt get a bump at least!!
I am looking very hard at the fisheasy 240x240 or the garmin 240 for my next locator.
Xplorer

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 10-16-2002).]

I will throw in a good word for eagle too, but that is all I have every run. Very good units! Never had a problem with any of the 3 I own. The 240x240 unit has excellent detail. With any LEI product you may have to adjust the sensativity level or you may pick up everything.

There are some differences between the X-71 and the Fishmark 160. About the only one that you can actually see is the flasher screen on the X-71 it is the round display that was on the X-65, the 160 does not have it. The otheer differences are in programing and you wont see much of a difference there.

Rob

TJ
If you fish much at night, take a look at the screens with the back light on. Throw your coat over your head and the display unit to get a true picture of what they will be like at night. Three years ago I went through the same questions you have now. I went with the Lowrance for the better backlighting, not sure if the same difference exists in this year's models but it's worth checking. If you want to see my X-75 in action, just call and we'll hit "The Bear" for an evening.