• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rare visitor

MN Shutterbug

I understand this Black-throated Blue Warbler is quite rare this far south. My friend down the street informed she had one in her yard. I had never heard of them before, so I headed over there this morning, and there he was. Unfortunately, all the shots were taken against the sun, thus the poor quality. But, considering they were at the edge of her yard, it couldn't be helped. Anyway, I just thought it was a bit unique.

2903131804_37274bb7d8_o.jpg

2903131922_51d428bd9f_o.jpg

Sweet captures of an unusual species, Mike. B-Th-B warblers nest up here in the Arrowhead and into Ontario and points east, and generally migrate farther east through Wisconsin on their southern and northern migratory routes.

Some are spotted most years in a scattering of states from Minnesota on south and all the way west to California, almost always during fall. They are considered "rare to casual" off their typical migration and nesting routes. Almost all western states show records in double figures, with California for some reason showing over 600.

That's not to take anything away from your excellent captures of a bird not often seen in your neck of the woods. Excellent sighting, excellent work!