• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trobles with dog practice

Dahitman44

My 2.5 year old yellow (copper) had a tough tyime in the field today. Brought him out and shot the dummy. He found it the first three times, but did not see it land so that was good.

But he was really breathing HARD. Then he did not go "hard" after the fourth. I corrected him and he still acted a little funny. The while time he was eating grass. Went home and he had a drink and then threw up the grass.

Any thoughts?

Is he acting fine today? Eating, deffacating, peeing? Is he in shape to run multiple retrieves? Not a vet... if you suspect something is wrong take him to the vet... if it was just something that happened yesterday, let it go. We all have days when we don't feel well.

Good Luck!

Ken

My lab gets goofy like that sometimes. If she is not rested, or we do to much "work", for to many days, she will do that kind of stuff.

Dog could be tired or boored. Or it could have a belly ache. Generaly they eat the grass to havee something to toss later. Mine will do it if she has a lot of hair in her gut. (carpet licker)

Mine eats grass and throws it up almost every day. I throw dummies for her and after about 6 she eats some grass, runs back to me with the dummy, throws up some of the grass blades that were stuck in her throat and then retrieves until my arm is tired.

I wouldn't worry too much about the grass just make sure he is eating, defecating and playing like normal.

IMO: Your dog was hot and out of shape. Fatigue turned to boredom and he started to eat grass. I took nearly ten pounds off my wire this summer because he just can't handle the heat. It has helped. We also swim a lot because he does not get fatigued from the heat this way and I can keep him in better shape during the hot part of the year.

You also might want to switch up the lab's food. Corn based (some say all grains) foods can be hard on a dog's digestive system. Many many popular brands of feed have corn. I believe that Nutro is a less expensive corn free option...it's at least worth a try.

Also, a raw patty (for sale in the freezer section of a good dog food store), or cooked rice w/ a little dog food food and/or sardine oil, can help settle a tummy and dry stool. My wire gets this the night before a hard hunting session and no food the morning of.

Best of luck.