• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

White throated sparrows

finnbay

This might have been a good case for Av in camera and let the ETTL do some heavy lifting and go to HSS when the light is good. Ride the FEC to get where you want. The only problem with manual flash in my opinion in this case is even a small change in distance to subject requires you to change your flash output or aperture.

My rule of thumb for any flash work is if the subjects are moving and changing distance I use ETTL on camera or off with a flash chord if it is possible. If the subject is stationary I go to manual exposure and manual flash.

If I want to control ambient exposure of the backgrounds then I'm back to manual exposure and manual flash. Aperture controls subject exposure.

I've been doing so much flash and strobe work the last few weeks I've had a chance to do a lot of experimenting with settings. Its all a constant refinement of technique, but it sure is fun manipulating the light to get some cool effects.

Lots of posters, team schedules and a lot of team and individual work. I've been a little too busy! I've seen about as much soccer as I can handle the past month! A few more big jobs in the next few weeks and then the busy winter sports start kicking in.

Dan,

Strobe question. I have, a 550ex, a 580ex and pocket wizards. I should be able to shoot and trigger from my camera if I hook the pocket wizard receiver to the 580, use it as a master and the 550 as a slave - correct? What I don't have is a sync cord, and as I understand it, all I would need to get is a PW pc sync cord. Make sense? Will it work?