• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boilies?

Alan

I've used boilies for carp many times. They work well. The main appeal with boilies is you can buy or make almost any flavor you want. I make my own, and the two best for me are vanilla and strawberry.

However boilies are not my first choice, I prefer corn most of the time. The reason being is a can of corn is very cheap. It takes time to make boilies and if your in a hurry corn is the way to go.

Another bait you should think about is soft doughbait, works also. Experiment with different baits and flavors to determine which ones work best for you.

Good luck.

I dont know what i have done wrong but i have tried boilies twice they ignored em not sure if it was the fish my presentation or the boilies I was using a hair/bolt rig.

I used strawberry coolaid for flavor for lack of anything else around the house i have found 100's of recipees around the net but have not had the time to try any extensivly.

Dude check this recipe out, its freekin awesome. I made it this early afternoon at about 1:30 and tossed it in the fridge for 2 hours, my room-mate came home and we were off to coon rapids dam. Caught 6 carp 3 at about 2 feet and were catching catfish like I forgot how many because we caught so many. I was using a small hook and just placed a small amount of the boilie mix to the bottom portion of the hook ( im still new to fishing carp ) but heck it worked out great:

( This is not my recipe, I do not take credit for it, and I forgot where I got it )

2 cups flour

2 cups corn meal

1 cup sugar

1 cup strawberry kool-aid

1 pack of strawberry Jell-O

mixed it all up BEFORE adding WATER. I slowly added water making sure I didnt add too much water. when it started feeling tough and not so sticky anymore I started adding more flour and BAM stuck it in the fridge and OMG this recipe was da bomb.

As you may not know, this was my FIRST attempt to make boilies and it turned out superb.

I'll add this to the mix concerning boilies too. I've used them, and like others, I prefer corn. But preparing and using boilies gives the you another option when the bite has slowed. Also, if any of you have kids, this is one of the greatest things for kids to do when its raining and you can't stand to watch another episode of Spongebob. I have a 4 and 6 year old and they love making boilies with dad. They get their hands gooey and get to have another positive experience associated with the fishing process.

the dough can be pretty fun to use. i was using a heavy 7 ft. pole and had it propped against my cooler and it went flying when I was fishing really shallow by this dam at Peltier Lake in Anoka Cty. I have nooo clue how it got free but it cleaned my dough hook alot better than i could've in a much shorter time. For dough baits, you should grab these treble hooks that have a little coil in the middle, meant to hold dough. I attached mine to a simple gold spoon so it's legal. I ordered mine from some place in Cali, the dough hooks. I would highly suggest them. They have a lot better chance of holding the dough than the trebles that come with spoons.

edit: since trebles alone are not legal in MN, i didn't have an easy time finding the dough hooks. i'm guessing that's why. also the dough baits aren't at that many bait shops. you might want to order that online too.

but, going to the grocery store and getting chicken liver and chicken blood (and other chicken endtrail type stuff they'll sell you) is supposed to be the best stink bait. i'm about to leave with dough bait right now though. it works quite well. lots of people like to have both on hand if they're all outfitted for catfishing. also i haven't yet tried it but cut sucker fish i guess works good and whole bullheads, being they are part of the minnow family as defined by MN state statute, are also totally legal and catfish eat them up too. You could also cut up bullheads, as bullheads are a pain to keep live. Also with all the grey areas about infested water mumbo jumbo I'm afraid to have em. Never know if the CO stops by and starts quizzing me on where I got my bullheads. I DO know the name of the only uninfested lake in my county, but it doesn't have any bullheads in it smile

Try slipping a chunk of ball point spring over a single hook, strech the spring a little, cut the spring to the size of the hook from the barb to the top, slip over the spring over the hook and add dough. sounds odd but it works.