• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Antique Reel Experts out there?

ThunderLund78

Question

I added this post last night but somehow it has disappeared.

I think I've read a few posts from antique lure collectors on this forum. Does anyone know anything about older reels? I went to an estate auction this weekend from an old man who passed away and he was a pack-rat/outdoorsman. Unbelievable amount of old an new fishing gear. Even some of the old stuff was still in its packaging. I scored a couple of rod and reel combos for $30/piece, one of them being the one pictured below. It a big bait-casting/trolling set up and I'm thinking it's antique but it's in great shape. Can anyone tell me more about it? The only insignia or brand name on it is "922C TRUE TEMPER USA" as seen on the first pic:

Reel_1.jpg

It's mounted on a 7' white fiberglass rod from Sears Roebuck--Ted Williams Boat/Pier Model, with a finished wooden grip and stainless steel mount and eyes:

Reel_2.jpg

Here's a front view:

Reel_3.jpg

Does anyone recognize this make or model? How old it is? possible value? I paid $30 and it's fully functional so I think I got a deal. If it's older, it's in such good condition that I think I'm going to make it into a functional wall decoration in my basement--still may use it from time to time grin If anyone knows anything about it please comment. I'd be curious to know what kind of deal I got.

4 answers to this question

Great looking setup - I see that it a "true temper" make. Don't know anything about it, but there was another post asking about another true temper combo.

What ever happened to this company? And when did they stop producing this brand. They seemed to have producted some innovative stuff, but not sure if they were considered a low/med/high end rod & reel manufacturer.

Not sure how (or even if) it relates to the reel but True Temper used to be (maybe still is) a manufacturer of Aluminum (metal) Tubing, castings, extrusions etc. The three places I saw them a ton were in Bicycles (both chromoly and aluminum), in arrow shafts and in the supports for camping tents. I'm sure they had other applications but at the time I think they competed pretty heavily with Easton. According to google they are still around as True Temper Sports. With their expertise in metal working it would not be suprising they got into reels etc. I know its not much but I hope it helps. Paul

I have the identical reel,Its so close to the penn reel! I am missing the bearing opposite the crank.I've tried finding where to get one and all places I've tried never heard of TRU-TEMPER. So I'm outta luck,the reel yet works just no casting spool adjustments but It yet casts OK.

Must have came as a set cause I have the same rod also but the rod is shot,wood handle split and a piece missing