• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinning Rod Line Choice/Docks

BlueBasser

Hey guys wondering what type of line you spool onto the spinning rods you use to skip docks. I have been using Braid but it is time for a change and am wondering about Fluorocarbon, is it fairly low memory for spinning applications? And what pound test would you recommend? Also feel free to help me out with brands as well, there seem to be a lot to choose from! Thanks

Sick of braid huh, Seagar Floro is pretty good, but I don't know about a spinning reel. (Memory issues) I tried 12lb - I went back to braid though. Then have a Floro leader if needed. If your worried about the fish seeing the braid then get a black Sharpie and cut a slit on the top of the felt and color the line a couple feet. Good luck on whatever you decide

I have never had that problem with Braid on a spinning combo. Mono, Copoly, and Flouro have all given me troubles on spinning combos for twist. Could I ask what type of braid you are running?

The best non braid line I have used is Gamma Copoly. Yes, I still get twist from time to time, but it is pretty good line. I have the 8 lb spooled up on my main dock spinning rod and it hasn't broke off with a fish yet. I do retie pretty often though.

I hear ya - I get that to. I would guess you're using 20lb something. Is the line a bit frayed or old? Maybe 30lb braid would be better? I haven't tried it yet.

Well you could try Floro - for 15-17 bucks/150 yards.

Great, now you got me thinking of respooling. With braid though again. My line is getting beat this year.

I use 30lb power pro for skipping docks.. I always close the bail by hand manually, and I always set the line on the roller by pulling on the line. I cant remember the last time I had a loop over.

As for floro and memory. Floro has much more memory than regular mono and will not cast as well. It will be better as far as abrasion however.

I actually just went the opposite direction from what you are contemplating. I wasn't using braid, and after much deliberating, I finally switched over.

Line visibility was something I was concerned with. But the more I thought about it, the less I saw a problem. One, you're usually skipping into shaded areas, so the line visibility should't be an issue. And secondly, a large majority of the dock fish you catch will be reaction bites, so they are jsut reacting, not taking time to look at it. (MOST, not all)

So the big benefit to me in switching over was less stretch so I could use a more moderate action rod (easier to skip), easier to management braided line on spinnign gear vs. heavy mono / fc and lastly, strength of the line. I too use 30 LB braid.

YOUR experience will show you whats best for you though. So if you wanna switch, then you should try and and then you can make the decision on what you like the best. As far as Fluro, Seagaur and Gamma seem to have the least amount of memory of what I've tried (i haven't tried it all, but quite a few). The difference in the 2 is largely cost. If you skip docks like I do, then heavier line is needed. When I skip, I try to get it in to no man's land, so 20LB is as light as I'd go.

I'll finish saying that when I do think line visibility is an option, I will skip with 20 LB Fluro and a baitcaster set up.

The fine print should read that I'm a deep water guy, so dock fishign isn't my forte. So take this for what it's worth. smile

I agree with Deitz. 30lb braid on a 7' medium spinning rod. Always close the bail manually(should always, with or with out braid) and put the line on the roller. I have a pretty tough time with line swists, knots, etc. before following that procedure.

i use 20lb power pro braid. i personally havnt seen much difference between it and the fluro ive tried in the past as far as the bite is concerned, however i do have a number of 20lb fluro leaders i made that i use sometimes.

Thanks for the help guys, I have really loved PowerPro and will maybe just try to go up into the 30 pound test class to try and get rid of these problems. Plus the manual bail flip over, Ive always heard about doing that but havent made it a habit yet. Again thanks for the help!!

Seams to be a lot of powerpro guys on here. I prefer a fused line like fireline. It doesn't give me any of the line twist and birds nest problems that I've had with braided line. I like a 7' MH rod. It gives you a little more leverage to tighten down the drag and rippem' out from underneath. I'll use a floro leader in clear water, unless there's heavy cover, then I'll tie it direct.

I think the line choice has to match the lure choice. I wouldn't use braid for a rapala...those trebles would just tangle things up so I would opt for Fireline for a superline. Stiff Fireline helps to reduce hook tangles. If you skip plastics or jig and pig, then braid should be okay.

slipperbob--how often do you skip docks with a rapala??? I've been skipping a frog with 65lb braid under docks with a 7'6 flippin stick and have been doing pretty good lately. I think its something the bass have never seen before. Did anyone watch the last bassmaster on Oneida? It looked like Dean Rojas only caught a couple on the frog and the rest flippin the grass....All the reports made it seem like he was strictly doing the frog bite.

I don't skip often and I'm just a cranking/jerking kind of guy. I think it's kind of fun seeing a rapala skip on the water surface like a fleeing minnow.

I do that quick cast/retrieve with the rapala minnow to cause some jumping on the retrieve in 5-6 casts and then I lay the minnow deadstick, twitch, deadstick. Some fish only sniff/nibble others pound it.

My problem is that I'm just entertaining myself and catching a fish is just a result of it. I remeber a few times my fishing buddy was getting annoyed at the no fish biting and wanting to call it quits. Just then I pull up a three pounder.

Those frogs skip well even for me on a baitcaster. I'm bout 50/50 on backlashes skipping on a baitcaster. Maybe a lil better, but not that much. Thus I stick to spinning.

Flukes, tubes, senkos and some creature baits skip well too.

What's a good brand of jig to skip? Bitzy bugs don't skip well.

FOr me it depends on what I am fishing. If I'm using a jig I go with 20 pound Gamma Flouro. It's spendy, but it resists a lot of nicks, etc that weaken your line. I also like to use Gamma flouro for my light line on docks for plastics, etc, usually 8 pounds. I've never had a probalem with line nicks or anything, and trust me, I've had my share of fish wrapping pilings, etc on the way out!

I prefer flouro for skipping plastics because I like unweighted lures and the flouro helps the drop. Having said that, the docks also dictate the type of line I choose sometimes. While I like flouro, some lakeowners have a high rate of metal docks with he inherent sharp edges, then I use Fireline or Power Pro. I always use power pro when skipping a heavy jig on the flippin stick, and prefer a spinning reel with a 4000 size spool to handle the flouro or fireline. I do not use flouro heavier than 10# for the reason of controlabilty and memory of the flouro and use a memory spray to ease in pliability and castability of the flouro. I have had alot of sucess with the flouro a 6'9" in a money tournament comes to mind, but it also cost me a potential win in a Silverado a couple years ago where the P Pro or Fireline probably woulda got the fish in the boat. I tried Gamma but didnt like it compared to Seagar in the 10# size. Some big girls just wanna have fun with the light stuff!

Quote:
MNBassGuy I just checked into that Gamma Flouro its like $36 for 125 yards OUCH!

Well I'm with MNBass, its all I use for floro. Love the stuff! Far more castable and limp than any other floro in my opinion. But its not for the shallow wallet kind of person for sure.

Truth is there are a lot of good Floro's on the market, but I know I can trust the Gamma stuff.

I dont want this to sound like acommercial, many know I am on the Gamma prostaff.. it costs Gamma quite a bit more to make it as they run the product through gamma radiation to give it limp qualites and not give up strenght.

If you fish tournaments Gamma is a must. It's worth every penny! I have guys tell me often that I'm crazy for not using braid for flipping. I have never broken off a fish (pike not included) on Gamma Flouro. Like I said earlier, I have had fish wrap pilings, sharp square edges on dock rails, etc, and have never broken off with Gamma. I have with other Flouro's, but not Gamma.

All that and I'm not on the Pro Staff! (although I'd like to be)

I don't like to use braid on docks too much for a couple of reasons. First, I think it's way too visible in clear water, and second, I think metal dock edges cut braid like a scissors if you hit it wrong. I haven't had that problem with Gamma.