• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Leaks

Fishinguy40

I own a 2006 Monark King 185. This is the first boat that I have owned so I am not an expert and looking for some advice.

This is the third season that I have had this boat. Lately I noticed that the bilge seems to fill with water quite often. It seems that I can pump the bilge once an hour when spending a day on the river. I checked to make sure the plug bung hole was clean and plug was sealing right. Also checked the bilge access cover was tight. So yesterday, with the boat on the trailer and in the driveway, I filled the bilge with a garden hose to check for leaks. Everything on the transom seemed tight. This is where I expected it to leak because of the bolts and screws that penetrate. But what I did notice was a steady dripping of water from the keel at the back end of the boat.

This is an aluminum hull that is welded not riveted. I cannot tell where on the keel it is leaking as there is an aluminum strip that runs along the keel and acts to channel the water.

I plan to call the dealer today and inquire about the warranty on the hull. I just want to know people's opinions. Does this happen often or is this just totally unacceptable?

I did call the dealer this morning and was informed that the Woodbury/Lake Elmo dealership no longer has a service dept. I have to go to St Cloud or Minot.

I called St Cloud and was told that the hull has a lifetime leakproof warranty but that it was probably a leaking livewell hose. I told the guy how I filled the bilge and no water drained from the livewell drains or transom but it did have a steady drip from the keel. He told me that I could bring it to St Cloud this fall and they would check it out. If they concur, they may have to ship it back to Monark, the manufacturer.

I just hope the St Cloud service dept is better than the one that was at my local dealer. I think I know why they temporarily closed it.