• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

suggestions for budget shotgun scope

I tried scoping my 870 last year by using a saddle mount and a red dot scope. I ran into problems because my barrel is not rock solidly connected to my receiver where the scope is mounted. Basically there is a wobble in my 870. Kind of hard to mount a scope to something solid when the barrel is a little wobbly.

I use open sights on my slug barrel and those are pretty accurate. If I were you, I would consider a cantelever scope mount barrel or continue using open sights.

I am stuck in bewteen new open sights or a new slug barrel for a scope right now.

I would expand on Picksbigwagon. If you cannot get a solid mount, then don't bother. It also maters on your hunting conditions. If you are going to be shooting at short distances through thick woods, I would potentially upgrade your open sights to some Fiber-optic sights. If you can get a solid mount through a cantelever scope mount (what I have) or have a gunsmith mount your scope rings then I would go with a 2x9 or 2x6 scope.

As for the scope, I would go with a Nikon Shotgun scope. I have the pro-staff and love it. It is crisp and clear, and supposedly can take a beating that the shotgun recoil hands out. I would not try to go cheap on a scope. At least spend over $130 on the scope or just continue using open sights. Nothing is worse than your scope letting you down on the shot of a lifetime. At least with open sights it would be human error not equipment failure. Obviously your 870 will shoot straight, so that should not be an issue.

I learned the lesson of not buying a quality scope.

Ya me to, saved some clams a few years back and ended up hunting with open sights since the scope failed opening morning.

Buy a decent scope, shotguns kick scopes butt.