• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Benelli M1

Scoot

Question

I recently won a Benelli M1 and have heard good things and bad things about it. For example I heard that it has trouble shooting light loads is that true?

I have the opportunity to choose any other gun within the same price range, are there any guns you guys have had really good luck with, maybe the winchester super X2 or the berettas?

Any help would be very helpful, thanks for your time and good luck hunting this weekend guys!

8 answers to this question

I recently won a Benelli M1 and have heard good things and bad things about it. For example I heard that it has trouble shooting light loads is that true?

I have the opportunity to choose any other gun within the same price range, are there any guns you guys have had really good luck with, maybe the winchester super X2 or the berettas?

Any help would be very helpful, thanks for your time and good luck hunting this weekend guys!

I don't know where the reputation that Benelli's inertial system doesn't like light loads comes from. I gotta believe it's like some kind of urban legend, somebody said it and now alot of people think it's true. I've had a model 90 for 3 years now and have fired everything from 3" mags to the softest low base 8's anybody makes and it cycles every one of them whether it's hot, cold, wet or dry out. My brother-in-law has the Super Black Eagle and the only rounds that didn't cycle well were some ultra-light target rounds he reloaded himself. You have a gem there that'll do you right on the range and in the blind. Maintain it but don't baby it, it's a working gun.

[This message has been edited by Long Gray Line (edited 10-01-2002).]

In my opinion the M1 super 90 is one of the best guns on the market. I have 2 of them and they both function flawlessly. I too have shot everything through them and have had no problems jamming at all...EVER! It does shoot wet/dry, cold/warm and everything in between it. Also because it is an inertia based system the action cycles faster expelling barrel and action dirtying gases faster. I would not shoot anything else at this point. The 3.5 in Guns do have a history of jamming on the light stuff. But that is across the board. Being in the Gun industry I have field tested them all and found that 3.5 in guns will eventually jam on you sometime... Anyway there is my 2 cents...

Good Hunting!

Nater

Some years ago I talked wtih a bounty hunter for the state of SD. He shot coyotes with 00 buck from a Super Cub. His shotgun was a beat up old M1 with an extension tube. He claimed in a good year he went though 20 cases (that's 10,000rds) and had been doing that for 8 years with no problems

I bought a used one and have shot grouse and trap with light loads. No problems yet. Black plastic and butt ugly, but IMO it is one heck of a shooting machine.
Roger