• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom saver question

vikingmeatwad

Question

I bought the normal(swivel or something) one and when setting it up it isn't too far off the ground.

Does anyone have pictures on how theirs is setup or how many inches off the ground is a safe place for the motor to be raised?

Thanks!

40hp merc on a 16

6 answers to this question

Well, I'm guessing you must not have a rear center roller guide. Or, perhaps you do. But, I'm thinking you must mount the tab on the back of the rear crossmember on the trailer. Then, you probably need to fully extend the transom saver. I have a Lund 1425 with a Merc 40 HP that I use this way. The motor is only tilted back about 15-20 degrees, but this is more than sufficient to clear any obstacles (the axle would bottom out first)...

-Gregg B.

Your right Gregg, no middle roller. It's fully extended and the motor is about 9" off the ground. I think your right that the axle or even the rear cross member would hit first but it still seems low where it may hit in a driveway or something.

Thanks

One thing you might want to try if you think it is still too low... slide the boat up forward about 4-6 inches on the trailer. You would just have to slide the bow post (forget the exact name) forward. As long as you are not too tounge heavy afterwards (I doubt it is possible with that 40 HP back there), all should be fine.

-Gregg B.