• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnetonka... couple questions...

The first one pertains to fishing. I'm going to do some exploring on 'Tonka over the next few days... going to parts of the lake I haven't been to yet. I will be fishing for skis and will likely go for some pike for awhile as well. I wouldn't expect you guys to give away any specific hot-spots, but I was looking for some generalities. Do you have certain bays or areas that should produce well this time of year? I'm pretty familiar with Wayzata Bay down through Robinsons Bay, as well as most of Crystal and Maxwell Bays. But, I'm looking to broaden my horizons since the areas I know haven't been producing very well lately. I will fly by the seat of my pants, if necessary, but would appreciate any points in the right direction.

As for the second question, I will be taking the wife with me this Saturday and Sunday where she can finally use her new Musky rod/reel set-up. She really wants to fish all weekend! Well, I know it's going to be hot all this weekend with highs in the 90's (breezy to boot on Sunday) and I know we (mostly she) are going to want some rest time to take a break. I'm looking for a restaurant on the lake... someplace I can moor up to to eat, have a couple beers and just rest for awhile during the day. I think there is someplace in Excelsior called the Bayside Grille. Have any of you been there before? Are there public or restaurant-patron docks available? What are the docking facilities like... are they close to the restaurant itself? Can I leave my equipment in the boat and still expect it to be there when I get back? Perhaps there is another restaurant on the lake that is better than this one. Any and all help is appreciated...

-Gregg B.

Hey Gregg, I live on Tonka and do about 99% of my fishing there so hopefully I can help you out a little.

Unfortunately, like you, I stick to the east end of the lake, so I probably won't have spots for you in new bays, but I can definitely put you on some recent spots with great bites. A couple of these spots I'd like to keep pretty on the downlow, so if you want to shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can reply to you on my phone, since I'll be out of town from today (Thursday) until Sunday.

I honestly don't know about the Bayside Grille, but I wouldn't doubt it. The two restaurants that I've been to on the lake are Maynards (Excelsior) and Lord Fletcher's (West Arm?). Maynards is my personal favorite. I think it's a little more casual, and if you wanted to sit back and drink a few beers I think this would be the place over Fletchers. I'd also trust my gear in the boat at both Fletchers and Maynards, no one would easily get away with taking it.

Well, thanks for the muskie tips guys, but nothing going this past weekend. Oh, well... I can still be persistent. As far as the restaurant goes, thanks for the great tip on Maynards. I like the atmosphere and the food is pretty good. I like the dockhands that will tie your boat up for you. In addition, there is alot of nice scenery (even better than the Calhoun Lake joggers) to look at there while putting down some cold ones... if you know what I am saying...

-Gregg B.