Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HNTNBUX

Trail Cameras and Bears?

7 posts in this topic

How many guys use trail cams for bears? Do you hang them differently than for deer? Do you leave the flash on or off to avoid spooking them and only capture day time movement?

I can't decide if I want to take a chance with a bear "eating" one of my cameras or someone walking off with it. With baiting you always seem to leave a nice trail that anyone can follow and we have had people walk in on us in the past.

I've used mine in the past on our own land with no troubles. I make sure that anything that needs to be done with the camera (set up, take down, etc.) is done before I touch any bait. I've had it set up about 15 feet from the bait on a tree three feet off the ground and had bears, coons, martins, fishers all get their mugshots taken day or night. Now that I'll be hunting on public land, I'm a little leery about leaving the camera out. Anytime I'm in the woods, I'm more worried about the 2-legged creatures than any 4-legged ones. wink

I use trail cams on the bears. I'm careful not to get any bait on the cameras, but I have had bears rip both of them off the tree anyhow. This year I bought a couple of ammo cans from fleet farm and cut a few holes for the flash and lens. I plan on running some screws from the inside out on the cans so they are like big metal porcupines. While you need a pretty high dollar camera with a quick flash to catch a deer walking down a trail, all you need for bears is something cheap. Since the bear will be hitting the bait it doesn't have to be fast. I buy the $70 moultrie returns out of the bargain cave at Cabelas. That way I don't feel too bad if a bear chews it up or somebody ends up stealing it.

I am using one this year. First time using one ever. I looked at the Moultrie lock box but didn't like how the front was exposed on it so I found another one on line called the Camlockbox. Look it up. They were $10 cheaper and better built. You can lag it to the tree,lock the camera in and use a Python cable to secure it. I just ordered mine today so I will let you know when I get it and how it works.

I have 2 pics of bears in 5 years with trail cams.

The back end of the bear in pic 1.

Pic number 2 the camera was on the ground, with the nose right in the lens.

I have heard plenty of stories about bears destroying cameras.

DO NOT get any bait scent on the camera.

As others noted, their are lock boxes available for some cameras to help in the event that a bear decides he/she wants to try and eat it.

Its a gamble.

In a weeks time during the season I get about 300 or so bear pictures. That's with two cameras out on active baits set to take 3 picture bursts. I've got some really nice photos. When I first started using trail cams paying to get the film developed really put a dent in the pocket book, digital is so much better

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Actually the guy at ace was pretty close. These little guys are for framing steel studs before sheetrocking,  but yes they also could be for sheet metal work even though they are black . But your right hawg sharp and go in fast. 
    • What  a sweet find !!   Even better that you had a camera handy !!
    • Great trade and as of last year I know I wasn't ready to part with Lavine and his potential but that all changed when he went down with the injury.  I hope Lavine becomes a stud for Chicago in a few years but our time to win is now with this addition!!  Great move giving up hope for a top 15 player in the league that plays D is brilliant with the young studs we still have on roster.  Now all we need to do is add another player or 2 in free agency to strengthen our bench and we will be looking good.  Excited for the free agency to start!!! Playoffs here we come!!!!!! GO WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!
    • http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/06/22/mall-of-america-slips/   Classic case of doctors juicing up a medical claim with a series of failed therapies, creating a life long patient and a corporation with deep pockets to bill for those services.  Think not?  Dont be so naive.  Nobody wanted to fix her, they just wanted to keep billing, sad deal that happens all too often.          
    • That Drouin contract at 5.5 is kind of bad for us right now. Nino is far more proven than him and Granlund has had the beast season out of the 3 of them. Hard to see anything under 5 for each of them. 
    • Looks like the Wild moved Schroeder for....another Schroeder.  Maybe the new guy will be more consistent.   I see Evander Kane is on the trade market.  On the expensive side, but if the Wild decide to move Scandella instead of Dumba, that would free up more money.  A guy capable of scoring 30+ goals with some size would be sweet.     I am thinking Granlund and Nino each sign for in between 4-5$ mil each.  Hopefully less and hopefully Pominville will restructure a little.  Doesn't leave a ton of cap space for free agents or other guys.     Lots of moving parts in Chicago.  They seem to be moving a lot of parts around to try to work with their cap situation.  
    • I think you, or the person at Ace, meant "Sheet metal". That's what they're used for....sheet metal and HVAC work. They have a self-tapping thread. Look on your furnace where the sheet-metal ducting is fastened...bingo!   Also called "sheet metal screws".  Hope they work for ya!  
    • Reminds me of a memorable morning at our place when  THREE male's landed on a front picture window ledge and just sat there for a few minutes looking in.  What a glorious sight!  They were likely just moving through because we do not see them during a normal summer. In fact this summer we have noticed a decline in many species; no bluebirds at all, only a couple doves, fewer swallows, not as many wrens (but still plenty of them) and for the first time a pair of cowbirds. Normal mornings are like a symphony around here just about daybreak.
    • forgot I made this post, I fished a lake here in SD last weekend that has a sunken road way and bridge completely submerged. Its gotten to the point the concrete has fallen apart under water but you can still see most of the structure in tact but also some rebar etc.   I wanted to get a screen capture but as usual that exact spot was popular and already occupied with other boats playing bumper boats to anchor and fish near and I didn't want to intrude on their fishing space just for a picture. 
  • Our Sponsors