• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Cameras and Bears?

How many guys use trail cams for bears? Do you hang them differently than for deer? Do you leave the flash on or off to avoid spooking them and only capture day time movement?

I can't decide if I want to take a chance with a bear "eating" one of my cameras or someone walking off with it. With baiting you always seem to leave a nice trail that anyone can follow and we have had people walk in on us in the past.

I've used mine in the past on our own land with no troubles. I make sure that anything that needs to be done with the camera (set up, take down, etc.) is done before I touch any bait. I've had it set up about 15 feet from the bait on a tree three feet off the ground and had bears, coons, martins, fishers all get their mugshots taken day or night. Now that I'll be hunting on public land, I'm a little leery about leaving the camera out. Anytime I'm in the woods, I'm more worried about the 2-legged creatures than any 4-legged ones. wink

I use trail cams on the bears. I'm careful not to get any bait on the cameras, but I have had bears rip both of them off the tree anyhow. This year I bought a couple of ammo cans from fleet farm and cut a few holes for the flash and lens. I plan on running some screws from the inside out on the cans so they are like big metal porcupines. While you need a pretty high dollar camera with a quick flash to catch a deer walking down a trail, all you need for bears is something cheap. Since the bear will be hitting the bait it doesn't have to be fast. I buy the $70 moultrie returns out of the bargain cave at Cabelas. That way I don't feel too bad if a bear chews it up or somebody ends up stealing it.

I am using one this year. First time using one ever. I looked at the Moultrie lock box but didn't like how the front was exposed on it so I found another one on line called the Camlockbox. Look it up. They were $10 cheaper and better built. You can lag it to the tree,lock the camera in and use a Python cable to secure it. I just ordered mine today so I will let you know when I get it and how it works.

I have 2 pics of bears in 5 years with trail cams.

The back end of the bear in pic 1.

Pic number 2 the camera was on the ground, with the nose right in the lens.

I have heard plenty of stories about bears destroying cameras.

DO NOT get any bait scent on the camera.

As others noted, their are lock boxes available for some cameras to help in the event that a bear decides he/she wants to try and eat it.

Its a gamble.

In a weeks time during the season I get about 300 or so bear pictures. That's with two cameras out on active baits set to take 3 picture bursts. I've got some really nice photos. When I first started using trail cams paying to get the film developed really put a dent in the pocket book, digital is so much better