• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help on chrome cleaner

kb1965

Just got home from a week long ride with my wife. After putting on 1350 miles, mostly sunshine but had some rain, I noticed that I have a hole melted in the leg of my rain suit. Yep, it got close and melted on the heat sheild of my exhaust. Now I have an area about 1" wide by 3" long, nice shade of brownish black. Well stopped at a HD dealer and asked what would take it off, they said to use Road Rub. Bought a stick, used it per directions and it didn't work. So I am trying to find something to remove melted rain suit on chrome. Anyone have any other ideas??

Kevin

get some of the super fine steel wool, rub lightly not always in the same direction, and add some chrome polish to it. I promise it works and no scratching unless you rub hard and for a long time. I am a service manager at a cycle dealership and use this daily on bikes that come through our shop. Take your time and you will be amazed what you can remove.

Used a 3M scratch pad, goog gone, and HD bug off plus 1 1/2 hours of rubbing to remove melted frogg togg rains suit from my heat sheild. Starting to think about about some new Vance and Hines during all that rubbing. Got it off but boy what a @#$%& job!

Well guys thanks for the tips. But I have finally accepted defeat. I am thinking a new set of pipes are going to be in order here. I tried, road rub, from the local dealer, steel wool with polish cleaner and finally the oven cleaner. My wife thought I was nuts when I asked her if we had any and was going to use it on the bike. After numerous hours of rubbing the melted material is still there.

Kevin