• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

soaker hose question

glenn57

last year i bought soaker hoses for watering my garden. figured it would be easier on water bill and dont waste water like a sprinkler does. the ones i got were from menards and some of them had a lot of pin holes and sparyed water out so they were replaced. this year i checked them again, layed them in garden and they didnt work to good, not much if any water came out. i didneed another one so i got one from fleet farm that worked well. do these only last a year or what. the fleet farm has a 5 year warranty and i will replace other ones with more from fleet. just wanting some input from others on there thuoghts about soaker hoses for garden use. thanks.

The soaker hoses are nice - i use it along with a timer to make sure the newly planted bushes at our cabin do not die when I am not there. The amount of water coming out can vary from spot to spot, but it hasn't been an issue.

The soaker hose that I bought at Menards only lasted 2 summers before springing a major leak. The hoses are fragile to start with, so leaks are going to happen, especially if bent or pinched. I need to find cheap male/male connectors so I can fix the leak areas.

is it possible that that plug up with gunk or something from the inside? like i siad before i rolled them out i checked them and thought they worked. anywat tonite they go and new ones get installed.

i could be plugged up with junk but it's hard to say. we have one and we have been using it for i think 2 or 3 years. it works great especially on newly seeded grass. try and hook it up again and just turn on the water and let it set for quit awhile and see what happens.

Glenn, how hard is your water? Real hard water will cause mineral deposits anywhere there is filtraion such as in the walls of a soaker hose. Then everytime it dries out the deposits get hard and form a crust which will fill in all the pores.

i really dont know and my softner is not hooked up to the outside faucets. i know theres chlorine there, i can smell it. never thought about mineral deposits. when i get time im going to mess with them a bit. thanks for the info.