• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait for Flatheads

panfried

I used to do quite a bit of Flathead fishing when i lived down in St.Paul. I moved up north and haven't gone since. I am now back in the cities and would like to go out and give it a whirl again and am wondering where a guy can find some Extra large (decoy size) suckers. This is what i always used to use and they seem to work very well. especially for the larger fish. I used to get these minnows from a bait store down in St. Paul off Lilly Dale Road. I heard this place doesn't exist anymore. Is this true? I guess that is why i am looking for a new place to get these large minnows. If not, what else works for big flatheads. I am sure smaller minnows and or crawlers work as well, just seems like you end up dealing with alot of the smaller cats and sheepshead etc. etc. When we fished with the big minnows we caught big flatheads. Nothing under 24 pounds and the biggest that we got in the boat was 44 lbs. Anyways, any info would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Quote:
I used to get these minnows from a bait store down in St. Paul off Lilly Dale Road. I heard this place doesn't exist anymore. Is this true?

High Bridge Bait is officially done for and not going on right now. Who knows next year though.

Read back about 3-4 pages and you will find out what else to use.

I do like big suckers in that area. They have been good to me in the past.

Go to Moore's Bait. Not sure if his suckers are big enough, but I would suggest bullies right now. I think they trigger more bites this time of the year. Call Bob ahead though, because he is currently getting a new tank system.

I was going to go out tonight, but he isn't bothering getting more bullies because of the change over. But he should be up and running with bullies in a few days.