• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seining questions?

Scott K

I just bought a seining net for bait and I have a few questions. I used to either use a minnow trap, or just a fishing pole and catch my bait out of a local creek. This spring the creeks havent cooperated much for me to throw my traps in, and fishing for them doesnt work out well either in the heavy current. So I bought a seining net.

My questions I have are , can I seine out of a lake for bait? I know of a bullhead infested lake, can I just seine it, or can I only seine creeks? Next question is about the minnow traps, can I throw them into a lake as well? I guess my question is can you trap and seine bait out of lakes?

I know I could probably just look up the info in the regulation book, but most of the time when I do that, I am more confused afterwards.

Yes, you can seine the lake. Here's the kicker.

If it's listed as an infested waters, then you can only use the bait on the same lake.

If the lake is not infested, then there shouldn't be any issue.

On I thought that they made it illegal to use them this year. I know last year the DNR was having alot of problems with people using them but it not in the regs they couldn't do a thing. I will look it up again but i'm pretty sure that they made it illegal. Which is gay, thats how I caught my jumbo shinners.

You can put your minnow traps in lakes. Just make sure you have a tag on them with your name and address. Traps are supossed to have this tag no matter where you use them. Mine don't but i usually put them by my house, or someone steals them from me mad