Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeepguy

1987 Mercury 25 HP tiller steering issue

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1987 Mercury 25 HP. It runs great, but last year it started to tourque to the right very hard. I have tightened the tensioning bolt, made sure the motor is centered on the transom, adjusted the trim tab. It was off center a little bit, I recentered it and it helped a bit, and tightening the tensioning bolt also helped. but it is still not that good, if I let go it makes a hard right. Any suggestions.

You could try moving your trim pin up one hole. That probably will help your steering torque, but may make getting on plane take longer. Experiment with it and see what you find!

marine_man

You don't want the tab 'centered'. You want it to one side. Got this from my outboard service manual,

'If less steering effort is required in a starboard turn, move the trim tab slightly to starboard.

If less steering effort is required in a port turn, move trim tab slightly to port.'

I have a newer (2004) Merc that is a 25hp as well. I do not know what a "tensioning bolt" is. Where can I fool with this adjustment? Can someone tell me?

Thanks.

Look on the housing that your motor pivots about - there should be a bolt or spring loaded bolt in that area that you can tighten or loosen to adjust your steering tension.

marine_man

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Also woodpeckers beat on stuff to mark their territory.   I am pretty sure that there aren't any bugs on my metal downspouts.
    • You will often discover that birds are picking very small insects from decks and other woodwork around your house;  they do the same with trees and any other structure that might hold the bugs. We see them often on our decks and they usually pick a little bit and then move on,  perhaps just checking to see if there is anything edible there. These rascals also love hummingbird or oriole nectar, sunflower seeds and of course suet in winter. We have discovered  many species that will head straight for the nectar for orioles or hummingbirds and also plunge their beaks eagerly into the grape jam bowls orioles love. Birds will eat a greater variety than you might think. We have found they do not like limburger cheese, hot dogs, or Makers Mark bourbon.  I am thankful for that.
    • And pretty soon there'll be little chinese restaurants springing up everywhere...
    • I use the ball of aluminum foil, too. Works well.
    • lay them in the grass over night and wipe off in the morning.  the dew soaks in if it's moist out.  other wise lay them out and place wet towels over them for awhile..
    • What do you have against Japanese Beetles?   Diversity is good.   We need all nationalities of beetles.  Even VW beetles.   Asian Lady Beetles, everything.  All nationality and gender identity beetles. 
    • Tysons chicken tender, Top sirloin steak, pork chop, burgers seasoned to taste - crispy crowns, tutor tots, fries - beer batter shore lunch Walleye, Crappie all better than deep fryer, oven or gas grill. Just do potato first & keep hot in oven at 250. Even Spam is better than pan fryed but if your under 40 you may not have a clue about Spam.
    • Yes spray it, or wipe it down with an oiled paper towel before you use it.  I use a little ball of aluminum foil to scrub them after the cook, but while they are still warm. They make disposable grill topper grates that are handy too when you are cooking something that is going to be really messy.
    •   Non-matching carpet and drapes have been known to cause numerous issues, too, with or without beetles, especially in Los Angeles. Keep the hamsters safe by putting in a zip-loc bag during spraying.
  • Our Sponsors