Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Eastwind

Mid June on the Kenai

I will be staying in Cooper Landing on the Kenai for a couple of days in two weeks. I've heard that the Salmon will be running up the river at that time. What baits are my best choice? Spoons? Flies? Streamers? etc. Colors? Any information will be helpful and appreciated. This is a family type vacation so I will only be casting a couple hours each day.

EW; the red salmon run on the russian is usually good the 15th of June thru the end of the month. Typical gear is either fly or spinning, with yarn/egg flies, or streamers. 3/8 in hook gap max if i remember correctly.

The kings are 1-2 weeks late this year, not sure about the reds though, you can check the sonar count online if ya want.

I just smoked up a pile of fish and am headed for MN for 2 months, sure am gonna miss the summer in alaska, at least i will make it back in time to put up about 75 silvers in the fall.

Theres no king fishing up by cooper landing anyway...the russian reds are a pretty sure thing, and an easy shore fishing opportunity. Crowded though.

I hear ya...just sounded like he was just looking to cast some. What the heck are you doing leaving paridise for the best 2 months of the year??!

Live in the bush, and with the wife prego due July 25th, we were not willing to risk the horrible health care in the bush. Anchorage is SO expensive we decided to head back and stay with my parents for a few months and have the baby there.

Luckily i got my kings put up already, and will make it back in time to put up my silvers, but i will miss my commercial halibut fishing on the Bering sea, and commercial silver fishing in the Kuskokwim river, so that is a bummer.

But health and safety for mom and baby first.

I actually prefer fall, winter and spring better anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. You're right. I am just looking to cast a couple hours a day, here and there while at Cooper Landing for two days. It's more of a vacation for two couples rather than a pure fishing trip. We'll be going of Homer for some Halibut a few days before we are in Cooper Landing. I'm just packing a couple decent spinning reels and plan to buy a cheap (inexpensive) stout rod, or two, up there. So what should I be casting for Red Salmon? I have lots of spoons that I use on Lake Michigan for Kings, Rainbows and Cohos. Are any colors even worth bringing along? Should I just purchase some lures locally. If so, where would you recommend that I would get the straight scoop? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Russian River flies, What you are doing when fishing for reds is "flossing" them. You take a weight and put it up above the fly, i can't remember the distiance the weight has to be from the fly legally, so you will have to check on that, and also check the gaps of your hook, also restrictions there.

What you are doing is flipping it up into the current and the weight and fly bounce down along the rocks and the line between the weight and fly will eventually slide into the open mouth of a red and set the hook and yell FISH ON.

fisherman222,

Thanks for the info. By "Weiight" I assume that you are refering to a split shot on the line. Is that correct?

Split shots are too small, you want something with enough weight so that you can just feel it touching bottom as it bounces down through the current. Too light, and you won't floss one, too heavy and your snagged. Up here you can buy weights that look like a tube of lead, and you just cut off lead until you get it just right.

Works well.

Traveler may have a different way or other tips.

Parking in the lot down there is up to 11 bucks, so have a little cash on hand.

We fly to Anchorage tomorrow morning. Thank you to all the fellow FMers that gave me pointers regarding fishing on the Kenai and the Russian rivers. All your help is appreciated.