• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mid June on the Kenai

I will be staying in Cooper Landing on the Kenai for a couple of days in two weeks. I've heard that the Salmon will be running up the river at that time. What baits are my best choice? Spoons? Flies? Streamers? etc. Colors? Any information will be helpful and appreciated. This is a family type vacation so I will only be casting a couple hours each day.

EW; the red salmon run on the russian is usually good the 15th of June thru the end of the month. Typical gear is either fly or spinning, with yarn/egg flies, or streamers. 3/8 in hook gap max if i remember correctly.

The kings are 1-2 weeks late this year, not sure about the reds though, you can check the sonar count online if ya want.

I just smoked up a pile of fish and am headed for MN for 2 months, sure am gonna miss the summer in alaska, at least i will make it back in time to put up about 75 silvers in the fall.

Live in the bush, and with the wife prego due July 25th, we were not willing to risk the horrible health care in the bush. Anchorage is SO expensive we decided to head back and stay with my parents for a few months and have the baby there.

Luckily i got my kings put up already, and will make it back in time to put up my silvers, but i will miss my commercial halibut fishing on the Bering sea, and commercial silver fishing in the Kuskokwim river, so that is a bummer.

But health and safety for mom and baby first.

I actually prefer fall, winter and spring better anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. You're right. I am just looking to cast a couple hours a day, here and there while at Cooper Landing for two days. It's more of a vacation for two couples rather than a pure fishing trip. We'll be going of Homer for some Halibut a few days before we are in Cooper Landing. I'm just packing a couple decent spinning reels and plan to buy a cheap (inexpensive) stout rod, or two, up there. So what should I be casting for Red Salmon? I have lots of spoons that I use on Lake Michigan for Kings, Rainbows and Cohos. Are any colors even worth bringing along? Should I just purchase some lures locally. If so, where would you recommend that I would get the straight scoop? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Russian River flies, What you are doing when fishing for reds is "flossing" them. You take a weight and put it up above the fly, i can't remember the distiance the weight has to be from the fly legally, so you will have to check on that, and also check the gaps of your hook, also restrictions there.

What you are doing is flipping it up into the current and the weight and fly bounce down along the rocks and the line between the weight and fly will eventually slide into the open mouth of a red and set the hook and yell FISH ON.

Split shots are too small, you want something with enough weight so that you can just feel it touching bottom as it bounces down through the current. Too light, and you won't floss one, too heavy and your snagged. Up here you can buy weights that look like a tube of lead, and you just cut off lead until you get it just right.

Works well.

Traveler may have a different way or other tips.

Parking in the lot down there is up to 11 bucks, so have a little cash on hand.

We fly to Anchorage tomorrow morning. Thank you to all the fellow FMers that gave me pointers regarding fishing on the Kenai and the Russian rivers. All your help is appreciated.