• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lawn tractor issues

HaywardBound

Question

I've got this rider that is called a Powr Kraft. I think it is the same as a Montg. Wards and something else. Left it out over the winter and now have this:

1) When I lower the deck it really vibrates, and the whole mower deck is way louder than it was last fall. I looked everything over and it looks fine. You would think I bent something, but it was fine last fall. Another thing it does is engage the blades enough to spin when the deck is not down...that is also new.

2) Won't start...only clicks when I hit the key. I'm sure it is a solenoid, but since I'm here I'll ask. I can get it started using my jump pack.

Any good place to start with this?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I am not familiar with your particular mower but maybe this will help. I am assuming that it is a belt driven deck with the motor powering a center hub then belts to the other blades. Intially, check under the deck for any obstructions or build up over winter. Then check the spindles and bearings for any wobble or play. You may have corroded out a spindle bearing. Remove any grass or other debris from around the spindles under the deck cover. Now move to the main power belt and make sure the idler pulley to engage the belt moves freely, both spinning and on the arm move easily and that the spring that pulls it to the belt is ok. Also, check all belts to make sure they are in good condition. Then check to make sure that the deck attachments to the tractor are in place and working correctly. With the blades engaging earlier than usual, I would suspect the idler pulley has a problem but impossible to tell without looking.

On the starting, charge battery and check specific gravity in all cells when fully charged. If this is ok then clean the terminals. This usually clears up the click no start. The click you hear is the solenoid and it sounds like a battery problem more than a solenoid problem.

power craft was montgomery wards house brand.

If jumping it fixes the problem it is either a bad battery or a corroded connection. my money is on bad battery.

for the deck, check the belts and the tensioner pulley that engages the belt to the blade when you move the handle. It is a pretty simple system of a couple of belts, some pulleys, and a spring or two. With the motor off, you should be able to inspect the belts and see why stuff is turning when it isn't supposed to.