• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spraying apple trees

I have 9 apple trees in the back yard. I've heard so many different things I don't know what to do. I've been told to spray them with insectacide when the blossom, before they blossom, after they blossom, middle of the summer, and never.

These trees really crank out the apples. Last fall I had to pick some apples early cuz the trees were so bent over from the weight, but a lot of apples had bugs and worms.

So I toss the question out to yous guys, when should I spray them and what should I spray them with????

I checked on this a while back and they recommend whey to much for me but go to the Arbor Day site and there's a fruit tree schedule,I got mine down to no bugs,scale or rust with 3 sprays one as I see blossems start one after most all fall and one when apples are pea sized seems to work

Spraying for fungal disorders (leaf spot, apple scab, rusts) is done early on during leaf growth. Usually spray when leafs are half out and spray again 7-10 days later. Some products recommend multiple treatments, but usually 2 is fine unless you know youre trees get it particularly bad.

If you're talking about insects and protecting fruit then that is done during fruit development. I've never done that type of spraying because of the food involved, I didn't have that certification.

You need to identify what you're trying to control and then pick a course of action.

We have spayed our 6 apple trees in the past but last year we hung a baby food jar in each tree half full of vinegar and while I can't say we had totally bug free apples it really kept the bugs down. It worked.