• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird 787 vs Lowarance 522c

tdk

Question

Looking to buy a new sonar/gps with internal gps so that I can move it between two boats. Looking at pros and cons of both. Price is about the same so that's no big deal. maybe somebody could could give some direction on ease of use, durability, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

I just got the 522c and love it. Wasn't sure about the 5" screen, but the color and pictures are so good it doesn't bother me at all. If you are going between boats you would need an extra ducer and power for each boat.

+1 for the 522. I just got mine this season and it has really produced for me. The deal with the free chip is an offer hard to refuse. The RAM mount's are awesome as well.

The Humminbird 787 has several advantages over the Lowrance 522:

1. The Humminbird uses dual beam technology with dual frequency which gives you 2 simultaneous cone angles which increases the viewed area below the boat.

2. The software is much easier to use.

3. The unit has a very bright, crisp picture with the 640 verticle picture display (Lowrance 522 has 480 pixels).

4. The unit has a hemispherical viewing screen which makes it viewable from any angle (it does not wash out like other screens on the market).

5. The unit is seamless with the compatable Navionics software on the gps side.

The big drawback the Humminbird has is it's inability to read Lakemaster software.

it is seamless with the compatable Navionics

software on the gps side.

I have used both and like them both. You may want to just go play with them at the store and see which one is more user friendly for you. Either way I think you will be happy with which ever one you choose.