• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mudpuppies

I found these forums while browsing the Internet and dropped in to say hello. I'm a student from central Indiana, and I travel the state and country surveying and photographing reptiles and amphibians. I do not collect any animals; they are photographed where found and let be. Though most of you are mainly interested in fish, I am also aware that you commonly encounter species of reptiles and amphibians while pursuing your hobby. One species in particular that I am interested in is the Mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus). These aquatic salamanders are commonly caught by fisherman in the Midwest, and I'm interested in hearing some of your experiences with them. In particular, I'm looking to locate and photograph a few populations in my home state of Indiana. They are becoming increasingly rare here, and it's always good to be able to find a new are for them. I know that at least one user (wildcatcreek ?) posted a photo of a Mudpuppy from Indiana, but I was not able to just send them a PM. Anyway...I'd love to hear your stories and advice about finding Mudpuppies in the Midwest.

I'd really appreciate it if wildcatcreek or anyone else who has seen a Mudpuppy in Indiana could drop me an email at:

[email protected]

...and to keep this somewhat photography-related, here's a few photos of some of IN's reptiles and amphibians from this spring.

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus)

sistruruscatenatus7b.jpg

Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer)

pseudacriscrucifer.jpg

Thanks,

Todd