• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Minn Kota Help!

cupper

Question

Just bought and installed a new Minn Kota powerdrive today (40 pd thrust). I used to have an old (14 yr old Motor guide). I installed it and got new batteries as they needed replacing too. My problem is that my new trolling motor will not turn on... it's like no juice is getting to it. Batteris work for everything else. I have checked all the fuses and even got a new female three-prong plug. Nothing. Any thoughts on what I can try??? I have yet to get out on the water and I am going nuts!

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Check out the 3 prong plug, if it's the plug I have it can be used for 12 or 24 volt, you have to make sure it's wired right on the boat (female) AND on the trolling motor (male). Or try hooking power directly to the trolling motor to find out if you have a bd motor.

The motor will have its own wires independent of all other boat accessories so because those work means nothing.

Do you have a manual circuit breaker at the battery connection that might be tripped.

How did you wire the 3 pin connector? Black Negative- Red Positive. Leave the white wire. You should probably look at the male plug and verify that those are the same to the battery.

Thanks for the help guys. I am a moron... I had the wires crossed (posative hooked up to neg. ect...). Guess that's why one shouldn't be finishing projects like that at 11:30 pm.

Thanks for the help guys. I am a moron... I had the wires crossed (posative hooked up to neg. ect...). Guess that's why one shouldn't be finishing projects like that at 11:30 pm.

Happens to everyone. Been therer don that. Glad you got up and running, enjoy some fishing now.