• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who is planting more this year to save money!

Swill

I have always loved gardening, well vegetable gardening, because I like to eat. Well now since food is getting more and more expensive, I have noticed more and more people looking at planting a garden. I have just added a new 10-x 25 plot in my garden, I already plant a 50 x 30ft area, and I am pickin up more apple trees for my orchard. I plant everything, but where I see the largest savings is in peppers and tomotoes. To buy a few fresh peppers it really adds up(4-8 dollars for a few red, yellow peppers). Last winter I used frozen peppers from my garden, that I had blanched and smoked on the grill for chili, adn they tasted great. And tomatoes, don't get me started...

So who else is either expanding the garden or looking at gardening to save money?

What other plants save the most money? I bet sweet corn might be a good one to blanch this fall....

Between hunting and gardening, I better buy another freezer.....

People should look at the gas costs when mowing your acre sized lawns. I am all about alternative lawns and increased native plants. People should look at converting or increasing planting bed size to reduce their maintained/mowable acreage. This saves money on gas, wear and tear on the mower and many other cost savings, plus you spend less time mowing.