• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Odyssey Sliding Door Help?

This is my first time using the Auto forum so thought I would give it a try regarding a problems I am having with my 2000 Honda Odyssey.

It has automatic sliding doors that open and close for you automatically. I can't stand them because they are slow and annoying to use. Now to make matters worse, the drive motors (I think that is what is going bad) on both doors are not working properly and have to force them open/close. They are very spendy to replace (I think the motors alone are around $600+).

So my question is does anyone know if/how to disengage/reconfigure them so that you can open/close them with out the drive motor. I prefer this anyways. I've asked the dealer and they say that you cannot. If someone can refer me to someone that can help with this it would be much appriciated.

If this is not an option, references to a cheaper way to get these fixed & someone to do the work would be great. I would assume that this is a fairly common issue as these vans get older.

Except for this problem the Van has be awesome. 150,000 miles & 7 years later, I have not had to do anything but change oil, tune ups, brakes & timing belt - all routine maintenance.

Thanks!

I think there was a procedure for resetting the doors and relearning the modules, maybe someone else can chime in on this, if no one else can find anything I will do some digging and see what I find out.

The honda sliding door beautiful when working pain in the keister when not.

You can re-home these doors by closing the doors turning the switch on the dash off then on, hold the open switch till door is completely open and add a couple of seconds then hold the closed button till the door is closed plus a couple seconds. This should re-home the doors but will not repair any problems.

A number of things can cause issue's with these doors you should at all times keep the tracks and slides free of foreign material ie cheerios, gummie bears, empty beer cans etc. Also keep the door seals lubricated and clean at the dealership they will use silicone or shinitsu lube.

Another thing to look at is the contacts where the doors meet the b-pillar look to see if there is any contact burning and make sure the contact looks somewhat close to the middle of the larger pin. If they need cleaned use 220 grit sandpaper on a block of wood to clean and keep the edges straight.

Ok that was long winded would you like me to go on.

and by the way good luck.

Thats it, thanks Norm25!

If that doesnt work you can try removing the door motors and see if the doors travel free then, if so you may be able to just leave the motors out. But there may not be a detent to hold the door from self closing by itself do to no detent to hold it open.

Thanks for the tips - I'll have them a try.

If those fail to fix, I may be back to ask more questions on other options (don't mind if it is "long winded").

Hopefully I won't have to resort to looking at pulling the motors ... not sure what kind of trouble I can get into with that job.

I'll keep ya posted

The honda sliding door beautiful when working pain in the keister when not.

You can re-home these doors by closing the doors turning the switch on the dash off then on, hold the open switch till door is completely open and add a couple of seconds then hold the closed button till the door is closed plus a couple seconds. This should re-home the doors but will not repair any problems.

A number of things can cause issue's with these doors you should at all times keep the tracks and slides free of foreign material ie cheerios, gummie bears, empty beer cans etc. Also keep the door seals lubricated and clean at the dealership they will use silicone or shinitsu lube.

Another thing to look at is the contacts where the doors meet the b-pillar look to see if there is any contact burning and make sure the contact looks somewhat close to the middle of the larger pin. If they need cleaned use 220 grit sandpaper on a block of wood to clean and keep the edges straight.

Ok that was long winded would you like me to go on.

and by the way good luck.

Norm, finally tried your trick to re-home the doors. Appears to have done the trick ... I owe you. You mentioned "keeping the doors seals lubricated and clean", stupid questions but what & where are the door seals? Thanks!

Those would be the black rubber/foamy looking things that go around the door to seal out the elements. Get a can of silicone spray, spray liberally on a rag and wipe them down on all the doors. This will help keep them from sticking in the summer and from freezing to the door in the winter.

Sorry I was out of contact for the weekend.

Good to here the tricks still work. Airjer is correct about the seals use silicone or another and IMO option is called shinitsu no it's not a swear word but you can most likely find it through your friendly Honda dealership I have never tried any where else but it blows silicone away. Also don't forget to lubricate the moving components either, upper rollers, mid door rollers, and lower rollers. Use white lithium or other light grease. How do the door electrical contacts look? That is most likely the culprit of the previous issues. You may be able to prolong the re-home procedure by cleaning these up.