• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling plates

Question

does anybody out there use trolling plates on there big motors. I have a 115 evenrude on a 19 foot crestliner i dont want to pop for aelect motor and i was wondering if the trolling plates slowed down the boat enough to pull spinners on calm days when you cant drift any info would be appreciated

5 answers to this question

I used it on my 135hp Mercury ona 19' Searay, it worked good, did slow down boat to a crawl, but I decided to install a kicker motor to avoid overheating motor, which being a little older, it never liked idling around for much time. Now I can troll at low speed with no problem. I would say try it, it worked for me very well.

Hey Grousehunter there was a big discussion about this about a month ago if you look back. I had asked about them and the guys convinced me to buy one until our regular motor died and we had to be towed across the lake. Then I decided I would rather have another option if my motor ever quit again.

------------------
Phyl

After much reluctance, and much discusion, I tried tying two 5 gallon buckets to the front cleat on my boat in an effort to slow down my 4.3 liter penta dual prop drive engine. With NO holes in the buckets it slowed me roughly 1.2 mph, from 3.7 mph to 2.5 mph.
Thank you very much to whomever it was that gave me this tip.
It was a VERY cheap fix to exactly what I was looking for....

Evenflow

PS- The much discusion was about whether or not we should drill many ( or a few ) holes in the buckets, can anyone think of why it would slow the boat more to drill more holes in the buckets?

------------------
It's all just theory till you hit the water.