• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

underground crawler box

minneman

Question

I have this fiberglass box that a fella gave me, its about 24"x 32" and 20" high, with a lid, he had bought it for keeping night crawlers in, supposedly made for this use, he said you just dig a hole and put it in the ground with the lid flush to the ground so you could mow over it if need be. fill it with worm bedding and worms, sounds like it ought to work, anyone ever used something like this?? just curious if it works b4 I dig a big hole in the yard??

4 answers to this question

I lived in a wall tent in Alaska for 3 summer's. The only way to keep meat fresh was to dig a hole and put a wooden box in it.
Two things to keep in mind. Keep the water out or your box or it will float out of the hole, and keep the Grizzle's out. I think your worm's are safe from bear's.
If you have a cool basement put your box of worms on the cement floor, they will do just fine there.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 06-07-2002).]

I had one that was 24 long by 18 wide and about 14" deep. It had a mesh bottom like what screen you would find in a window, so moisture could drain properly. It was buried about 12" with 2" exposed above ground. worked very well. kept the crawlers in a temp where they reproduced, always had enought worms. In the spring you had to start over because the cold will kill them

I have found the that the easiest way to keep crawlers is in the basement fridge in a 5 qt ice cream pail. the secret is keep them cool and keep the ants from them