• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat rides uneven

Question

In my new Monarch when I get on plane with the motor trimed down the boat rides through the water tilted to one side.When i trim out the motor it helps but still does not ride level.What is causing this?The motor seems to be set straight on the transom.The cavitation plate is above the bottom of the keel at center and the edge of the cavitation plate is below the water line when on plane.Do I need to adjust the motor up one notch?Or will adjusting that little fin on the cavitation plate fix the problem?Or what?

15 answers to this question

Hmmm...does it lean to the side you're sitting on? (I just couldn't resist!)
Try putting your tackle box on the opposite side of ya! Maybe the anchor, too!

My experience with the leaning boat is a weight balance problem. The smaller the boat the more weight balancing is needed, even at running speed. A side mounted full livewell can be the cause. With all those fish your hammerin, that's probably your problem. grin.gif If your not catchin fish than Eyecatcher has some good ideas.

[This message has been edited by MTfreezer (edited 04-23-2002).]

Fishhead, I have the same problem with my SmokerCraft 90hp Envinrude when on plane. Thought of everything and nothing helped. Then I noticed our neighbor in his Lund Grand Baron with a 200hp Yamaha doing the same thing on plane. he can't figure it out either. hopefully someone knows.

Does your steering have a lot of torque at WOT? If it does, the trim tab may be set incorrectly. The propeller creates both forward thrust, and lateral torque through a "paddle wheel" type of twisting action. This lateral force can cause the boat not to ride flat and can make steering difficult. The trim tab can be twisted slightly to counteract this force. Standing in the back of the boat it should be twisted slightly to the right, about 5 to 10 degrees. If you get the angle wrong you will know it by the torque on the steering. Just experiment a little and see if this helps.

Good luck!

I may have the answer. My dads first Tyee did this and it pulled real bad to the Right. What I found was that both batteries were mounted on the Right side of the boat. Both batteris combined with the driver all on the right was to much weight on the right. I rearranged things so the batteries were mounted just off center to the left(this balanced the weight)and adjusted the trim tab and the problem was fixed. The boat balanced and did not pull after that. I would check both, because you may have a weight balance problem and a trim tab problem if it is pulling real bad.ScottS

I just read a couple of posts about Crestliners having similar problems. The problem was the drilled holes for the motor mounting, one hole was drill 1/4" lower than the other one, so the motor was actually sitting on the boat slightly off of level.

Might check that out too,..unfortunately I think the only fix is a new boat because there isn't room to redrill a new hole.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 04-24-2002).]

Thanks for the replies guys.I think I will try playing with the trim tab first.I am amost certain it is not a weight distribution problem.The boat has a belly tank,and batteries are centered also.Locating people in different locations does not improve things much either.I have had quite a few boats and have never seen this problem this pronounced before.

You would notice the weigh balance problem even before the motor was running if you had one. Just put it in the water and it would be leaning one way. I am sure it is a trim tab problem.ScottS

I had the same problem with my 2000 Smokercraft Millentia with a 90 HP Merc. The gas tank and battery is on the passenger side (PORT) and the live well is on the driver side(STARBOARD). When the gas is full and a passenger is onboard it will list to that side. I fill my rear livewell which helps balance the boat and trim out. Maybe the Manufactures might want to take a little more time balancing there boats before putting them into production.

[This message has been edited by MN-Brad (edited 04-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MN-Brad (edited 04-28-2002).]

MN-Brad, I have a 2000 Smokercraft Pro-Mag with a 90 mercury and when I am going at a good pace, the steering tends to pull to the left. Is this the problem you had?