• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

knife sheath

fishinggirl

Question

4 answers to this question

I make my own out of a rolled up Outdoor News and duct tape ever since my dog chewed the original leather one apart when I was cleaning fish. I know it doesn't answer your question but I just had to share that.

Sheaths are fairly easy, and fun to make. All you need for a basic sheath is the leather (an old sturdy belt works well, or hit up a leather shop such as Tandy - or even an old pair of leather tops from Sorel type boots if the knife is shorter. As you may guess, I rip the leather off of all old equipment prior to tossing things in the dumpster.

The other leather you need is a couple of leather boot laces, available in lots of places.

Your sheath will be in two pieces to start, just lay your knife on the leather, leaving a minimum of around 1/2 inch all the way around the knife as you trace the outline of the blade. The "bottom" piece should be the entire length of the knife, plus an extra 1/2 the length of the handle. The "top" piece will be a tracing of the bottom piece, covering only the blade.

Match up the top and bottom for perfect alignment, and glue the edges with a clear glue. After the glue dries, take an electric drill and drill a series of holes all the way around the outside edge of the portion covering the blade. Now just run the leather boot lace through the holes, wrapping as you go. Takes about 10 minutes, counting time to sip a brew.

To finish the project, I drill a hole at the each of the two upper corners (above where the handle goes, and run a chunk of boot lace through them. Insert the knife into your new case, mark where the top of the sheath will come when folded over the handle, and drill a few more holes on each side to insert the free ends of the boot lace through.

You are done.