• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goofy boat set-up?

Ufatz

Question

I am new to small outboard boats. Just bought, with your help, a 1750 Fishawk SC w/115 Yam. Had two X125 Lowrance put on, helm and bow, Minnkota 65 PD/AP etc. Love the boat. But now a problem. Dumped it in the water and DEAD batt. Brand new boat. I find that dealer has wired the X125's to run off the starting batt. for the motor, rather than the TWO big batteries for the t rolling motor. Is this normal? I think I will add a battery that is ONLY for starting the Yami. He says I must have left a depth finder on, and I won't argue about it (for now) but something ain't right. Also had an auto bilge pump put on instead of stock and today I came out and it was running!!! While the boat was on the trailer in my driveway! Yikes. What the hell is going on?

3 answers to this question

sometimes graphs/flashers will pick up interference from the trolling motor or any other electonic device on the same battery that may be why its wired to the starting batt instead of the deep cycles. some finders have filters to screen electrical (noise) im not sure if yous does but if so I would say go ahead and wire it to the deep cycles. But if your bilge is hooked up to the starting battery it is probably a faulty or unlevel float switch on your bilge that killed your battery. if it runs in a dry boat its definatly a problem that needs to be looked at.
Good luck figuring it out, I hope this was helpful

Graphs don't use a whole lot of power. I run my graph off my starting battery with no trouble at all. As posted above, if you have a bad float switch that would run your battery down. Some bilge pumps use electronic auto switches that switch on for a second or two at regular intervals then shut off automatically if there is nothing to pump. These pumps are great if you have trouble with debris getting under your switch. Check with your dealer to find out which one you have. Even then the pump should not run for more than a second or two and there should be a shut off switch for when it is parked in the garage.

The dealer was right to run the Lowrance's off of the starting battery. Running them off the trolling motor would most likely generate interference when the trolling motor is on. Don't the Crestliners have a master power switch that will prevent that bilge pump from running in the driveway ?