• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teal and Spoonies

hobbydog

I was at the cabin in NW MN this last week and there were not many ducks around. Usually see a ton of teal, mallards and spoonies as well as a few ringers....maybe they were all on the nest. I did manage to find a few photogenic teal and spoonies. For the most part the sun was uncooperative most of last week. The teal pics were taken late in the day with some very nice direct sun. The spoon pics were taken on cloudy day but turned out pretty good.

teal46.jpg

This one was preening and in the second pic shaking off. They let me get really close without alarming.

teal44.jpg

teal43.jpg

You have to admire the spring time colors. They are really cool looking ducks.

spoon2.jpg

spoon7.jpg

Quote:

Yes I'd like to know what kind of camera that is as well. VERY NICE PICTURES.

The camera is a Nikon D70 and the lens is a Nikon 70-200 VR f/2.8 with a 1.4 teleconverter.....not a cheap setup. I was able to get very close to the teal pair, probably 40 feet or so before they got nervous and started to swim down the ditch. There was a breeze out of the north so I got downwind and then had my son scare them. They flew right by. They only flew a little ways down the ditch so we repeated the sequence a couple times.