Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Bob

Garmin Etrex - Has anyone else had trouble with these???

6 posts in this topic

I have very bad luck with this model and I am wondering if anyone else has. I had one that worked perfectly for about 8 months then suddenly it started pointing in the wrong direction when I was using the Go-To feature. I emailed the company and they gave me directions on how to reset it to the factory settings (and loose my waypoints at the same time). I did this and it worked correctly for a day and then the next time I headed out on a trip, it was messed up again. It was still under warrantee so I sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a new one. That worked fine last fall but when I took it on a recent fishing trip it started doing the same thing the last one did mad.gif.

Has anyone else had problems with these????

I am considering buying a new GPS but am wondering what model / brand to buy???

Any pointers guys???

Thanks,

Dr. Bob

Hey Dr Bob-I may have experienced the same thing last week with my etrex legend up in pipestone bay. I'm sure I had the arrow pointing in the wrong way after I'd pass over a hump and had a hard time getting back on them w/ the goto function-it made things really frustrating and I wished I'd had some marker bouys along, the walleyes were right on the top of the humps 8-14'. I'm going to play with it some more and will report back with any new findings. I hope it's something I can iron out w/o any hassles because I'd like to think I made a decent purchase and need to have some confidence in my gear. Good luck and tightlines.
redhooks

Hey fellas:

I've got the E-Trex, too. I figure you know this, but it's worth reminding that when you hit the go-to feature, the arrow usually points in the wrong direction until you move a ways. I've found 10 feet or so while walking gets the arrow in the right direction. Like I said, probably you know that, and when you say the arrow's wrong, you're saying it's wrong after you've been moving, so that sounds like a malfunction, all right.

My first E-Trex, from Cabela's, started shutting off completely on its own for no apparent reason after I had it a few months. Took it back, got it replaced for free on warranty (had to set all new waypoints, of course) and it's been a champion ever since.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
stfcatfish@yahoo.com

Its called Overbearing. LOL Sorry inside joke.

Take your heading and use your boats compass.

Or just head to the Tower. LOL Sorry another inside joke.

Yes, pay no attention to that Surface Tension behind the curtain.

He and I had quite a debate out on Vermilion last winter. He was trying to explain to me why the GPS didn't read the right direction immediately, why you had to move with it before the arrow would orient correctly. And he convinced me that, in certain situations, it's better to shoot a bearing with a compass and map instead of relying on a GPS unit that requires you to move before it works right.

I think I eventually figured it out, helped by copious quantities of beer, of course. Anyone who knows either S.T. or I could understand how we both could become overBEARING after a few beers. rolleyes.gif Northlander and Xplorer were there to witness the mayhem. Cheap entertainment for them, a lifetime of inside jokes for S.T. and I.

Isn't that what good fishing buddies are for? grin.gif

But to bring it back on track, I wouldn't trade my E-Trex for anything (still keep a compass and map when I'm on the bit water).

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
stfcatfish@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 06-14-2003).]

I've been wondering about that since last winter. I've been going to ask what that was all about, now I won't have to grin.gif.

I know you have to be moving in order for the pointer to do its thing, but with my Etrex I am cruising at full speed w/my 25hp and the arrow is pointing east when it should be pointing south!!! The whole time it is telling me what the distance is to the way-point (and that seems accurate) but it is pointing 90 degrees in the wrong direction mad.gif .

And it really pi$$es me off because this is the second Etrex to do it to me!!!