• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4-Stroke Recommendations

AJ

Question

I am looking at four strokes for a Lund Explorer 1650 tiller (40 or 50 hp). Any strong opinions about Honda/Yamaha/Merc? I want RELIABLE performance, good charging, flawless starting in the cold. Will be running this motor for primarily fishing and some late season duck hunting. No kicker on the boat for trolling so it needs to troll down well. I have heard mixed reviews about Honda and Merc depending on who you speak to. My concerns with Merc would be the length of time they have been in the 4-stroke market. Lastly, any opinion on 40 vs 50 horse on a 1650 Lund? I think the 50 costs $1000 more, weighs 130 lbs more, and gets you 1 - 2 MPH at top end. Not worth it? Thanks in advance for the help.

11 answers to this question

I believe Suzuki, Evinrude or Johnson and Honda are my choices for 4-strokes. I heard Evinrude/Johnson 4 stroke engines are basically the same as Suzuki. Suzuki have had some excellent ratings.
I have a Honda kicker and love it. It will also be my duck boat motor. It always starts on first or second pull, but I haven't used it in real cold weather yet.

As far as motor size on the boat, try to max it out in hp rating for your boat. Best for resale and plenty of power for your needs. I had a 40hp on a 16' Lund and way under powered in big waves and wind. I could max out the motor at 50hp on my old Lund and I believe it would have made a difference.

I have a 1675 explorer SS and a Yamaha 80 4 Stroke. I have been very happy with the performance of the motor. I have only had it this season but used it almost every weekend and twice had it out for a full week. No problems. I can get it troll to 1.9 mph and top GPS speed 42 if I am alone in the boat.

Each of the motors mentioned have their pluss's and minus's
The mercury and Yamaha motors have had trouble with their jets plugging up due to varnish build up from gasoline getting old. They definitely are lighter and get excellent fuel economy. But you must add fuel stabilizer season long and running them dry after each use is recommended.

Honda tend to be run quite heavy for their Hp rating and aren't as fuel efficient but do not appear to be as sensitive to the varnish problem expereinced by the yamaha powerheads.

My next motor will be a 4 stroke. I'm not sure yet which way to go myself at this time.

Thanks to everyone so far for their responses. Keep them coming. It really makes a difference to hear about specifics in the field.

For pricing, I am looking at $4750 for either the Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke 40. The 50 is about $5750. These are spendy, but worth it in my opinion.

Any opinion about the 50hp's ability to deliver more speed/power with a loaded boat? I guess what I need to know is that even though the top end for one guy on a light day is very similar between the 40 and 50, what happens when you load up the boat? Will the 40 really bog down? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Pherris:
Have you been happy with your Lund? Anything you would change? How much thrust on the trolling motor is enough? Does the boat perform well in big waves (within reason)? I will probably fish Leech Lake 70% of the time. Thanks.

AJ,
I have been very happy with the boat. It is one of the most stable boats I have been in with the 90" beam it is almost like walking around on a pontoon. I can actually stand up on the rod rack in the corner to cast and the boat does not tip at all. I am 6"1" 225lbs. I also like the additional room you get on the Explorer without the gunnels you get on some of the other Lund models. I have the Air-ride seats so it moves pretty smooth across big waves if you cut them right, if you don't you bounce pretty good. It will get right on top of the 12"-18" waves and then it rides exceptionally smooth at full throttle. The one thing I would change is that I would go with the tiller next time instead of the console, it gets in my way.( If I was shorter it would not matter as much) I would also be sure to upgrade to storage compartments to include locks. So when I am parked in public places I can lock them. Maybe I am paranoid but now I take everything out and lock it in the truck. Either way if they want it they will take it I guess. Just would like to make it a little harder on them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Gives me confidence that I am making teh right decision.

Last question: Recommendation for where to but a Lund in MN? I want good service and a fair deal. Some of these dealers seem a bit sleezy. Boat show a good time to buy?

AJ, I set Pherris up with Nelson Marine in White Bear Lake. I know the guys very well and if you need service they are big and can handle it. Also I just talked to Tim he has explorers in stock. Call and talk to Tim Wajtos 651-429-4388.