• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

G-Loomis Walleye Series Rods

Scott Steil

Question

I just got a G-Loomis walleye series rod.
This rod is 7'10". I got it as a gift for trolling cranks. I looked it up on the HSOforum and there are 2 7'10" rods. One of these is for superlines and one is for mono. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the two? I would have like to get the one designed for super but got the mono one instead. I would exchange it, but it was out of the bargain cave at a sporting goods store(good price.) I don't think it should matter much. I believe the gloomis I wanted just a bit lighter of a tip.

14 answers to this question

When I'm trolling cranks, I like to have a little extra give to my rod and my line.
I use a loomis walleye series wcbr 843c 7' med action rod. It has a softer action allowing the fish to inhale the bait easier without ripping it out of its lips!
The super lines are great for jigging especially deep water, but for cranks I think your rod with mono line would would be the better choice
<>>>>>>>>>>>>< fish on

Thanks for the replies guys. Another question would be, What would you suggest for a good reel to match the rod with. I reel with the left. I have just started using baitcasters for the most part. I have a Shimano Curado that I use on a 6' IMX that I like. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by HOGEYE (edited 04-16-2003).]

I just got a G-Loomis walleye series rod.
This rod is 7'10". I got it as a gift for trolling cranks. I looked it up on the HSOforum and there are 2 7'10" rods. One of these is for superlines and one is for mono. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the two? I would have like to get the one designed for super but got the mono one instead. I would exchange it, but it was out of the bargain cave at a sporting goods store(good price.) I don't think it should matter much. I believe the gloomis I wanted just a bit lighter of a tip.

LOL, You and I have the same problem!! I reel with my left hand also. But, I still use the Diawa Sealine Linecounter Reels. I haven't found a quality Line counter in Left Hand yet. The Sealine 17 reels are very nice and well worth the money.

If you are not looking at a linecounter reel I like the Abu's. They make great left handed reels that are reasonable in price. Definetly not made for casting but great for trolling and rigging.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Hey fishrman,

I know that fishing equipment and rigging is sometimes a matter of personal preference. However, I think you should consider using a no-stretch braid for trolling cranks.

You will definitely miss more fish with a stretch mono. In fact, you are probably missing several bites you didn't even know were there because of the "mushy" feel you get from stretch monos.

I personally believe you will miss more bites (not know they are there)when using a stretch mono versus those you potentially loose because of the rigidness of a no-stretch.

Just a thought.

I was looking at these rods as well,
but was curious, are they worth the extra cash?
I use a Berkly lightning rod med. action right now for jigging and pulling cranks,
but I'm no expert thats for sure, heh.
I did learn something new again though about the mono, i will keep that in mind for when ii'M PULLING CRANKS, oops hit the caps.
Anyway, I want to get another rod and just have one rigged up for pulling cranks, I already have a line counter reel, but am wondering what rod I should get. and exactly what line to use?
I cant use my berkley with this reel unfortunetly, but was also curious about what kinds of rods are best for jigging,( or do you reckon my med action lightning rod will do me fin) jigging is something i am planning on doing ALOT more of this season.
thanks

I definetly prefer no stretch lines combined with a forgiving rod. This allows me to feel everything. When I do get a weed, I just give it a good snap and the weeds almost always come right off (saves a ton of time). I cannot do this with "normal" line. Also I can see the action easier with super lines. I do set my drag a bit lighter as well to give a little more forgiveness. I then adjust as needed after I hook up. There is no way I can fish 100-200' of line with a stretch type line and still see the action of my lure.
That's just my opinion.

A lot of this is personal preference. Most jig rods are between 5.5 ft and 6.5 ft. The more graphite the lighter and better feel. Also if you use a no stretch line like fireline or power-pro you get even more feel. Just set your drag so it releases on the hookset or you could blowup your new graphite rod. There are a lot of great jigging rods out there for a good price. Look on Bargain basements and clearance racks. Sometimes you get lucky and see a St.Croix or Loomis for cheap.

I've never tried the super lines for trolling cranks, maybe I'll spool up a reel with 10/4 fireline and try it. I can definetly relate to being able to feel the lure better and dragging weeds for a half hour isn't too productive either!
Would this be the right line for trolling #11 or #13 raps at about a 4 to 10 ft. depth with about 150' out? or maybe a little heavier line?
How about the flourocarbon line (what kind and # test for this situation?)
Also what kind of knot do u use for flourocarbon? I've heard its tuff to tie a good knot with that stuff.

Hi, I don't think I would worry about the difference in action as much as the guides used. Loomis uses Fuji alconite guides on the mono rod and silicine carbide on the rod used for braids. You might want to think about having the guides replaced. Over time braids will definitely groove guides. While alconite makes a very good guide choice for superlines SI is the only way to go. Just my 2 cents. Rod Engel

Because you have the one that's set up for mono, you've got alconite guides on your rod. Rather than worrying about getting a different rod, maybe you'd just like to consider replacing the guides. What you need is silicone carbide or titanium nitride guides- these are made specifically to take the abrasiveness of braided line.
Good luck,
rodsybyengel