• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tackle box cleanup

Question

Over the years, plastic worms have been getting stuck to the bottem of my tackle box from heat ect.. Now its an ugly mess. Nothing I've used to try clean the leftover plastic has worked very well. Anyone have any tips/suggestions? Thanks much for any replies.

------------------
Walleye Slayer
"Leave nothing to fate"

5 answers to this question

guy i think you may be out of luck. i haven't found anything that will take out the gooo from plastics. i have gone to keeping plastics in plastic sandwich, or the snack bags. i have also gone to the storage boxes, or bags instead of a tackle box. ( i use alot of berkley power baits, or choppers and they both come in their own resealable bags) if one gets ugly, it don't cost much to replace. i also like having a box for each specific type of tackle, instead of having to haul a big tackle box around with everything in it. i just grab the boxes with the stuff i will need for the day and go. i do keep a worm bag in the boat that stores most of my plastics. the jigs and everything else is in plano boxes. just my $.02 worth. del

Dude..your SOL. That Goo will stay even if you scrub it with gas.

But don't toss that box yet. Get some cork sheeting and stick it in the trays and in the bottom of the box. That will dress it up and also limit any rust, and/or Goo.

Plastics react with many other plastics, so contain them in bags to limit the Goo factor. When you do shop for a new box look for the "Worm Friendly" designation on the package. Most of Frabill's and Plano's newer box's are plastics friendly.

Get this, I learn the hard way too.

I was doing an article on Power Baits and had a 4" shad Pogy Power Bait laying on my Computer pedestal.

You got it, it reacted with the material the pedestal was made from.

Now I have a shad shaped plastic "Goo-Burn" on my computer pedestal.

Doe!

Live and learn Eh.

Sounds like it's time for a new modular soft sided tackle box. That way, when one of the plastic containers gets all gooped up, for a few bucks you can go back to the tackle store and buy just an inexpensive replacement. That's the one thing I don't like about the plastic baits, they degrade into a mess of goo and even react with paint and hard plastics.