• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generac ix and iq series generators /Inverter

JbuZZo

Mr Lindell, Bet you had some tense moments about noon to 1 yesterday just like the rest of us when that game started. I learned that same lesson on a pressure washer, Honda uses different engines on different brands unless the knock off brands  want to buy the good engines. But if they did the price wouldn't look near as good.. 

10 hours ago, Hawg said:

Mr Lindell, Bet you had some tense moments about noon to 1 yesterday just like the rest of us when that game started. I learned that same lesson on a pressure washer, Honda uses different engines on different brands unless the knock off brands  want to buy the good engines. But if they did the price wouldn't look near as good.. 

The Wen has the Yamaha motor in it and it takes the same magnetic oil plug has the Yamaha does. They advertise the same dB rating at 51. Wen is $415 on Amazon Yamaha is $999. Both motors are made in China. Can't speak for the other stuff like wires and plugs. 

I said the heck with it and bought the champion for $449.....next day the Wen dropped from $489 to $419 on Amazon lol. I figured the champion will run 1700 watts and do what I need....then I got my direst tv & Sunday ticket for the ice castle. Spent $985 on it all. Guess we will see if it holds up had good reviews so if figured what the hay.

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Lots of parts in a motor than a spark and oil plug.

The question is, is it cheaper for the manufacturer to  stock several different parts to make different motors or is it cheaper to have one piston for example and just adjust the price. 

I would look at stuff like bore and stroke.  If they are the same, it seems unlikely to me that the parts are different.   Especially in low volume items like this. 

At a large computer company I worked at, often the same parts were sold with different performances for different price.  Only rule was you couldn't add parts to slow it down.  Many stories.... Like a card reader that came as an 800 card per minute or 1200 card per minute with a significant premium for the fast one.  Only difference was size of two pulleys. 

On 9/12/2016 at 6:43 PM, Hawg said:

Lots of parts in a motor than a spark and oil plug.

Yes yes there is. With the reviews on the champion & WEN 2000 watt inverter generators they can't be all that bad. Lots of happy people. At $450 for them vs $1000 for the Honda & Yamaha they only need to last 1/2 has long. 

So so far the champion I bought seems to work well. I'll let you know how it does this winter. 

Extended run fuel tanks are awesome but do yourself a huge favor and get yourself one of these!  Makes changing the oil so much easier and cleaner. 

https://www.amazon.com/Changes-Honda-EU2000i-EU1000i-Generator/dp/B00746VICW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1479307179&sr=8-3&keywords=honda+mess+free

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:41 AM, YettiStyle said:

Extended run fuel tanks are awesome but do yourself a huge favor and get yourself one of these!  Makes changing the oil so much easier and cleaner. 

https://www.amazon.com/Changes-Honda-EU2000i-EU1000i-Generator/dp/B00746VICW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1479307179&sr=8-3&keywords=honda+mess+free

If you want a cheaper solution just make a short tube out of PVC tubing.   Here is a video from another link.

Also found this link in that topic as well if you  want to make your own extended fuel tank.

Or to make your own extended tank:

Edited by kudu63

On 11/16/2016 at 8:50 AM, Hawg said:

The same guy that makes the oil extenders (great little gadget) makes the gas cap for generators too. Don't waste money on buying the system, they are super simple to make. 

I seen that. I see the Champion & Yamaha have to be gravity fed. Since they don't use a fuel pump like the Honda. So what tank do you use to gravity feed? Do you just get a marine tank with the fuel hose that shoot to the side so you can tip the tank on its side so the gas cap and vent are on top and the hose on the bottom when tipped on its side to drain the fuel down?

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA