• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo propane auger reviews?

Shaun

The augers at the local sporting goods store are all going on sale this week, 15% off. I can get the Eskimo propane for $365 plus tax and was wondering if anyone here has any input on this auger? Are they better/worse than the Jiffy propane augers? I cant find many reviews online. You can also get a used Jiffy Pro4 Lite on Jiffys page for $250 total after shipping, trying to decide which way to go. Any help would be great!

They came out a year after the Jiffy's did, and they had ironed out the problems the early Jiffys had experienced. I think they realistically used the Jiffy's for a "test ground". The 'Mo's haven't had any issues so far, all I've seen fire right up and run great, like the other 'Mo's do. Haven't had to work on any of the propane ones. Still love my ten year old Stingray, though. ;)

I've probably drilled about 150 holes this year with my new jiffy pro 4 lite, very impressed with it and has always cut really nicely. Only down side is they are easy to ice up but what I found is all I have to do is just spin the blade and fling all the slush and snow off after I drill, only takes 2 seconds and solves the icing problem. Haven't seen anybody use the Eskimo yet so can't say on that. 

I have friends with both the Jiffy Propane (Pro 4 8") and Eskimo Propane (HC40 8"). After using both, hearing their feedback, and seeing others on the ice if I was going propane I would go HC40. I actually really like both augers, and find them better than gas augers IMO because my buddies don't need to drag gas around, just a propane tank or two. I've been impressed by how many holes they can get out of a tank. But, simply from my on-ice experience fishing with them I've seen less starting issues with the HC40 when its really cold out. I can't tell you what it is because I don't know engines at all, perhaps the fact it was built specifically for propane? 

I've never heard my buddies with the HC40 complain and it always starts right up. My buddy with the Pro 4 has had a few times where his wouldn't start when it gets below 0. Normally it runs great. The HC40 is also a little lighter, holding then side by side. My HC40 buddies brag about theirs all the time, my buddy with the Pro 4 almost sold his a few weeks ago to buy an ION after using mine on back to back trips, and is still on the fence.

That is a pretty good price on the HC40 (this is a great time to buy ice fishing stuff), and from my experience I would buy with confidence.

When it gets that cold like it was a months ago on red it got down to negive 10 I had troubles starting my jiffy too, but then I discovered all I needed to do was squeeze the trigger once or twice and hold it at about 3/4 throttle when I start it and I would always get it to start on the 2 to 3 pull always. I think it just comes down to temperature and pressure and we all know propane doesn't like cold, at least not one pounders!