• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing Cable on Wheelhouse

Mid-Lake Rock

I have to replace the cable on the tongue of my fish house.  It is a Miltona Blacksmith frame.  The system up front is similar to Ice Castle.  I have two questions and looking for advice.  

1. Do I start by clamping the cable to the loop on the tongue and then go to the winch, or do i start at the winch?

2. How do you secure the cable to the winch?  I was thinking about making an initial loop around the winch and securing with a clamp.  Next run the cable to the front hook, clamp and start cranking the cable around the winch.  

Thanks in advance.  

Edited by Mid-Lake Rock

I just had to do this while in SD fishing this weekend.

I started by clamping the cable to the provided loop on the tongue.  That part was easy.  My welder friend instructed me to put the other end of the cable through one of the holes on the drum of the winch and weld a nut [one that fits pretty snug onto the cable] to the end of the cable so it does not slip back through the hole.

The frame on this house [I have three wheeled houses] is also a Miltona Blacksmith built frame.  I have also seen winches that have a clamp already part of the drum so if you have that you can just secure it there.

I always carry two bottle jacks with me when fishing out of a wheeled house so you can at least get off the lake should you have a cable break or come loose.

I've run galvanized cable for many more than 2 years as have many on this page. Who ever told you that? I change mine every other year because it's so cheap and I'm greasing the pivots anyway. Why spend $20 a side for cable when you can spend $7 or $8? It's not even the extra money for me as much as the why?

There is a video on you tube that shows how 1 company does it. I was surprised to see it's not fastened in any way, just wrapped on top of itself on the side of the roller. I have used a small cable fastener just like on the wheel end when I didn't have a welder handy. If you have room between the winch roller and the bracket you can do whatever you want.

Edited by Hawg