• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

13 Fishing - Widow Maker

GillAssasin13

Just picked a few of these up today in 27" UL. Ran home and slapped a new 6061 on them to see what I thought (not many reviews out yet but took the plunge based on prior success with 13 Rods). All I can say is, wow, am I ready for hard water now! These things are extremely light, and balance very well with the 6061's I threw on them. I was also surprised by how much backbone it had for a UL too, this should be very good for pulling fish out of deep water. Personally I can't afford to spend the money on a bunch of custom rods, but I have no doubt these things are going to be on-par with them as 13 promised.

More to come when I get them out on the ice. Anyone else pick one up?

Quick update! I was able to find this video on the rods after posting, for more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLmvSI8WHo

I also had a chance to play around with these rods for a while this morning. These are definitely the highest quality rod you can buy at retail. The components are just better (IMO) when looking at them next to customs I've fished previously, and the rod has a much better load / backbone. They are also much cheaper than customs, so its easier on the pocket book for what appears to be a better rod. I guess that's the advantage of 13 Fishing being able to sell at retail though, so makes sense.

I'm most excited about the diamond coated line guides they used on these rods. I hole hop a lot, and I can’t stand when guides freeze. The diamond coating actually sheds / repels water which is perfect, and will result in much less line guide freezing. Critical for me when it comes to ice rods. If I have time later, I’ll post some pictures of the rod.

Looked at these at the ice institute show if sioux falls, Sd yesterday.  Very nice , but passed.  The lune guides are a little too small for my liking.  I fish outside alot when things are cold and want to freeze up.  Great rod.  Just wont fit my fishing situation.  If not in a freeze up condition id say great choice!

I looked at the Widowmaker and chatted with the guys at the 13 booth at the Institute as well.  I'm very impressed with the rod.  It's extremely light and I think it may find its way into my rod line-up eventually, just not this year.  I had already purchased a very nice carbon-blank rod from Glacial Lakes Outdoors called the W3 and am dying to try it out on pannies, perch, and 'bows this winter.  I'd also give the Ticklestick a look.  Saw plenty of those in peoples hands during the show.

Edited by Scott O.