• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sealing stake holes in truck bed?

Grabs

Question

Guys, I know many of you out there have soft tonneau covers, so what do you do to seal up the stake holes in the bed rails?

I plan to have a spray in liner put in, and I am thinking about doing it over the rail and I am considering sealing up the top edge of the stake hole with something before they spray the bed. I guess I still want access to the stake hole from inside the bed for securing cargo, but when my cover is on the bed it would sure be nice to seal these off from rain, snow, etc.

I have also considered the stainless bed rails as an option, but not sure I want to add the extra cost.

Any ideas? Has anybody else considered doing something that has or has not worked well?

6 answers to this question

Grabs, I had a spray in done and put some eyebolts in prior to spraying. I had to drill holes to get the nuts on the bolts and afterward I put masking tape over the holes. Once it was sprayed you could never tell they were there. grin.gif

get the bed rails you'll use them alot more than one thinks and besides they really dress it up. If you are putting a spray in liner the cost of the rails is pretty small. If you want cheaper rails consider the powder black type cheaper than stainless but still looks good. I tie a lot of thing to my rails when hauling taller loads and if for no other reason they help to protect the edge of your box from the dings and dents.

Grabs, I just completed my box with a product called herculiner(sp). The whole project took a total of 2 hours. The instructions were very easy and application went alot better than expected. Total cost for me was 90 bones. It looks very similar to my buddy's who paid 450. Just thought I would pass this on. Joe

Grabs, I didn't go over the rail only because my topper, which never comes off, has a pad under it. I did go over flush on the tailgate. Topper door covers that up. Thickness depends on your box length. It comes in a gallon pail and is suppose to be enough for an 8ft box and sides. My box is only 5ft so total thickness probably is between 1/16 and an 1/8. I had a little over a quart left, which I should have used but didn't. It says you can put it on between 32 and higher degrees and it was about 40 in my garage. I don't think I would put it on in real warm conditions because I think it is better cool cuz it goes on thicker. I don't know if I would do someones in case they don't like it. The guys that have seen it say it looks pretty decent and i figuired it paid for my next 2 winnie trips. You can buy additional quarts but I don't know how much. Retail was $114 but my neighbor owns the hardware store in town. Let me know if you need any more info. Joe