• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pick Up games

DrJuice1980

Does anybody know where a guy can run for a few games? No novice but no pro either. Decent player that earns his looks. Just looking for some pick up games. Went to a community center yesterday, had posted open gym, got kicked out for some wedding expo that was down the hall.

I know a lot of the YMCA's have time set aside for pickup basketball. I use to play at the Shorview Y a lot a few years ago. They would normally have 2 games going at a time so you never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes before you could get back into a game. Talent was a mix of pro-wannabes to 65 year olds shooting set shots. Usually the matchups were decent with similar skill levels guarding each other so they games were competitive with fairly good sportsmanship. Occasionally you'd have a guy playing overly aggressive or taking things too personally but he'd get set straight fairly quickly.

The problem with most of the games are that they are during the middle of the day on weekdays so if you have a normal 9-5 job they can be hard to get to. Best bet is was to find a holiday on a weekday, that always brought everyone to the gym so you'd have good games going for 2-3 hours.

Thanks man, I heard the Y down by me is only half court action. Maybe I'll have to check it out for myself but I'm not looking to join. I was looking for something somewhat consistent. Evenings. There has to be multiple open gym locations. I used to play at lifetime but no longer have a membership. I didnt think it was going to be this hard to find a place to hoop.

Without joining a gym you might have a hard time finding consistent games.

A couple others thoughts is you could look into city run basketball leagues. I know there are some cities that host leagues. They might have info on how to get on a team or where there may be some pick up games.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is checking out some of the local colleges. When I was at St. Thomas there was almost always a pick up game going on in one of the gyms on weeknights. There was really no scheduled time it was just understood if you wanted to play you'd meet at the gym around 8ish. Trouble with that is you might have to do some exploring to find the games. Our game was up on a 3rd floor gym in the athletic building that you'd never find unless you knew it was there.