• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salamo to light

ice-man/vexilar-king

Question

I think I could pound some hogs with this bait in the summer, but I feel that it is to light for vertical jigging. Has anyone tried suspending dots or strips on them to ad weight? Any other idea’s to keep them down in the strike zone? Need to stay vertical!!!
C&R~~~~>’)))))><

7 answers to this question

The company that put out the suspend strips was Storm I think.. I have some in the tackle box still have know idea where you could get them now tho. Maybe fleet farm or I'd ask at the bigger sports store. Stuff like this that came out a few years ago gets moved over so sometimes are hard to find.
Great idea by the way I will try it out. O ya the pro guy at the boat show said to use really light line. I said 4lb. and he agreed. Hope this helps some.

Deemo
Thanks for the post I thought people were perhaps boycotting the Salamo. I have some of the dots and strips from when they first came out. Also they have that new weight paste or what ever they call it. I haven’t tried it yet, but I plan on using it this spring.
C&R~~~~>')))))><

Hey VexKing-It might be a longshot idea but you may be able to take the bottom treble hook off and put on a bigger one w/ a drilled out barrel sinker on the shank before reattaching the hook w/ a snap ring. It would give you the weight you need but am not sure if it would affect action?
redhooks

[This message has been edited by redhooks (edited 03-05-2003).]

If you have one that you don't mind playing around with you might drill a small hole in it and melt some lead and pour it in there. I have done this with original raps and had success. I bet the salamo would work great, I bet the smallies would really like it too, now that I think about it I might have to give it a try. Be carefull when you drill it not to drill through the wire and you should be ok.

Deadeye/Redhooks
Are you saying that they have a wire running hook to hook just like the Rapala’s? And on to the drill lead idea, where and at what angle do you think would affect the action of the lure the least. I don’t mind altering the lures. I’m going to try the lead on the hook idea ASAP but maybe a combination of both would be the ticket to keep the balance.

Redhooks are you trying to tell me that some actual red hooks wouldn’t hurt? I do change out some of my crank baits to red ones. I don’t see why the Salamo would say no to sporting a set.

Great info, keep it coming!!!
C&R~~~~>’)))))><

hey Vexking-I am assuming that there is a wire running all the way through but have never taken one apart to find so I really couldn't tell you where the best place to drill is-I know they have some lead in them because there is a warning on the package. Good luck with your experiment and let us know how it goes.
redhooks
PS I don't think you can ever go wrong using red hooks wink.gif