• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel pivot shaft

1lessdog

I pick up a 6.5x14 fish house frame 2 summers ago. Last winter getting on to the end of the yr. Just seems like the house did not want to go down and was real hard to crank up. Yesterday I took it apart as the grease zerks didn't want to take grease. I had to use my 4 wheels winch from the side and I pushed up and down on the spring to get them off.

I am real glad I did. cleaned the stub shaft with a wire brush and the tube good. Applied a anti seize grease on and put them back together.

Just giving everyone a heads up. On a problem that can present its self out on the ice. I replaced the cables on the winches and I'm ready for the ice

Good luck

When I built my frame I used Nylatron bushings for the wheel pivots. We have used these on our products on salt water ocean beaches for the past 10 years and have yet to have one cease up on us. Everyone neglects greasing which can be catastrophic rather quickly in the salt atmosphere so we had to come up with a solution. We eliminated nearly all grease points by replacing the pivots with Nylatron bushings.

I bought mine used and probably like most owners the previous owner never thought about greasing that zerk. He knew it was there but ignored it. I pulled mine off and maybe 20% of the shaft actually had grease on it. In turn I added 2 more grease zerks to the pivot per side. Now there are 3 grease zerks per side and oriented 120 degrees from each others to maximize grease to the pivot. I also used a full synthetic -60F grease vs. the traditional grease I often used which wouldn't flow well out of the gun when it was -10 or -20. The full synthetic did flow better out of the gun where I wanted it. While I had everything apart I also switched out the rusted and fraying steel winch cables to stainless cables with clamps so no more rust on the cables and if a cable breaks for some reason I can repair on the lake with the stainless clamps. Just in case. Also, make sure to repack those wheel bearings too!!!