• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turtle Portage ......is it in operation?

Greetings fellow viewers! haven't posted on here for a few months that I almost forgot my password. lol anyhow.......anyone know if the trolley thingy at Turtle Portage is working? I thought I heard somewhere that the cables were stolen. I was up there 2 weeks ago musky fishing and I wasn't that far from there and never even gave it a thought to go check it out. last time I was over the portage is when I went icefishing for lakers. any info is much appreciated. thanks in advance!

The thing is in pretty bad shape and wouldn't I even bother trying it.. It's in disrepair and needs a complete overhaul before hauling any boats over. It took everything I had just to turn the wheel with no boat on it.. As far as the cables being stolen I am not sure on that.. they were still on there last fall but maybe somebody took them over the winter. If you want to get into Whitefish Bay and you have road access from where your staying you can launch from Vic & Dot's camp for $10. He has a nice launch and plenty of parking there. There is a public launch too but the road is always flooded out.

Here's what I heard . . . about a week or so ago, Docks and Lifts out of Kenora was going to re-do the trolly system. It will be supposedly made for smaller boats and also supposedly, local resorts will be supervising and maintaining the trolley. It's my understanding that it opened up last weekend or so. I would call one of the Whitefish Bay resorts near the trolley for confirmation.

Let me know, too, as I'm hoping to fish fish for lakers over the 4th of July week,

Hey all

The cable has been replaced, it works . There will be some work done to the carriage in the future the wheels need new bearing and a few other repairs and as Shorelunch said the carriage will be made smaller for boats of around the 16 foot range. It is being used , some are still trailering around to Vic & Dots Camp and launching there.

Have a good one

Rob