• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting set-up for trolling cranks. Need a little help

Hey guys.

I dont want to say I am a total newbie to trolling cranks or fishing with them. I have fished with them in the past and cast with them from shore. I never had a boat before so I never felt the reason to be completely set up for trolling cranks. Since I bought a new to me 16.5ft alumacraft competitor I feel I need to step my game up now.

For the most part I will be fishing smaller to mid sized lakes and I want two rod's with line counter reels added to my arsenal. I want one set up to flat line cranks with either mono or braid. The other I want set up to flat line with lead core. 90% of the time I will not be fishing with planner boards but I would like these rods to be capable of doing so if needed. I will have issues trying to store a rod over 6.5 in my boat unless its a two piece so keep that in mind.

I went looking around and seen combos ranging from 69-129.00. Lots of different lengths, different actions, and 3 types of reels mainly(shakespere,okuma, and diawa).

So what would you suggest for the length and action of my trolling rod that will either have mono or braid on it? Not so concerned on the reel as most likely it will be a Diawa. Do you suggest going with a braid or mono? What brand braid/size or mono/size? I would like to stick with some type of braid but I dont know the pros and cons for both trolling cranks on a line counter rod.

What do you suggest for the length and action of a rod for leadcore? What brand of leadcore? the new suffix stuff?

Like I said 90% of the time I wont be pulling boards but I would like the rods to do "OK" if I need too. I was also looking for the precision trolling data book that now after reading on here isn't made anymore. What other options do I have for trolling info/data?

If I where you, just starting to build up the equipment, I would probably just head over to Cabelas and pick up two of their linecounter combos for around $50 each. They are not the best on the market but they are a pretty cheap and good place to start.

I would get rods in the 7-8.5' range, two piece to store better. Braid will run a little deeper than mono will so I would go that way, BUT if I where on a clear lake then it would be mono.

The Sufix leadcore sounds cool, but it is expensive.