• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcaster line

jramsber

It really comes down to the reel. Both will backlash the same if the brakes are not set correctly. That said, I think picking them out is more difficult with thinner line diameters. That's why alot of us musky guys won't put anything less than 80lb powerpro on.

I prefer braid. I think it's easier to cast and I get less backlashes. I've been told not to buy less than 30 lb test (8 lb mono equivalent) because it can dig in to the spool on a hook set, and cause backlashes. I use 30 lb suffix 832 and I love it. otherwise ill use seaguar 12 lb invizx. On my flippin stick I use 60 lb braid.

I dont use mono any more, since i switched to flouro and braid I cant remember getting bit off by a nothern.

I would spend a season and try mono, braid, and flouro in different diameters and see what you like.

Oh yeah swap out the mono for flouro. I like to put a 30' flouro leader on my braid. Flouro spools go alot further that way and one spool of braid will last a whole season on a reel and you get that bite off resistance that flouro offers.

The backlashes I get with braid are usually just a loop or two. When I backlash with mono it is a hideous birds nest.

I mean, that's what I hear anyway... I never get backlashes... blush