• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lakemaster software is really getting close now

bigeyes

Question

I heard that Lakemaster was putting there great products on Navionic chips and will be availible soon, so I emailed Lakemaster and this is the questions and response:

I heard that the reelbottom maps are already on navionics cards and will be availible to the public soon, is this true? Can I expect them to be out this year or do you have a estimated date? Will the maps include Mille Lacs and be reelbottom with 1 foot contour and if so are they indeed on Navionics cards?

Response:
Hello,
Yes, that's the good news for 2003. Navionics has the chips in production
and we expect a late Feb release.
We will be selling one MMC chip that will include MilleLacs, Leech, Gull &
White Bear ReelBottom(one foot contours).
The other chip will include all the lakes that have been surveyed in 3 foot contours - ProMaps. If you would like we will retain your email and let you know when they
become available.

Thank you for your interest !
LakeMaster Support Team

If any of you haven't used Reel bottom maps you are deffinitely missing out on fish, they are awsome! Just imagine a split screen sonar having your real time position and this level of detail while seeing it on your sonar. The only thing is I am not sure I want to see the price tag!

16 answers to this question

If I remember correctly, when I talked to them last they said it would be about $190 per chip, but they would try to pack as many lakes on a chip as they could. This was the price of a chip for an X-15.

I don't own a unit that runs them yet, but they are cards that go into the compatible units listed on Navionics web site. They hold the specific information for the map. There are currently a number of chips availible for different regions and some fishing hot spot chips for MN. Second hand info is that the hotspot maps are ok, but not that great. If you like fishing structure this new lake master/navionics product should really change the way you fish assuming it has the lake you fish available. These units tend to be higher end with both sonar and gps applications.

One ?
With this software will I be able to play with the maps on my pc and use them in my X15?
I have heard the Navionics are the best but is there any available right now that can be used in both PC and GPS.
What would you guys recommend.

The Lakemaster/Navionics chips are impressive. We checked them out at the Walleye Expo and I must say, it is exciting technology. The problem I see is going to be meeting the needs. There is a lot of demand and I hear the chips are going to be hard to come by.

The chips will vary based on the type of GPS you are running. If you have the x-15 you will be able to get the one foot contours. Some of the other GPS's out there will only be able to get 5 ft contours. However, they are still the Reelbottom maps, just reduced to 5ft contours. Still very impressive technology!
I am just hoping to get my hands on a chip, like I said, they will be hard to get at first.

I am not transferring points to my x-15. I have a handheld that I transer them to. I have not heard that you can transfer them directly to the x-15 yet. The MMC card I was referring to is going to be the new card that will have the maps preloaded on.

As far as I know, you still have to transfer waypoints the way you mentioned to the X-15. If anyone knows different I would be interested in hearing.

Derek,
Where can a guy check out that new Standard Horizon GPS. I was about to buy one of there other units but would like to check into this first. Didn't see anything on there HSOforum? Thanks

I currently have a 350-A and a handheld. I will be getting the X-15 this spring. I have only tried transfering to my handheld. I assumed you would be able to configure Lakemaster to the X-15 unit. The X-15 is not listed as a GPS model to configure Lakemaster to, but their HSOforum states that if the Lowrance product is not in the configuration list, just select any unit. If you can, it's just a matter of getting the interface and power cables. Look at Lowrance's HSOforum for the cables. Out of curiousity I am going to talk to Lakemaster tomorrow to see if you can configure the software to work with the X-15.

Scott addressed the Navionics chips that are expected to be available by the end of the month. These will allow you to have the full lake maps in your X-15. Currently Lakemaster maps are available for your PC. You can then get a PC interface cable and connect your GPS to your computer.

This will allow you to tranfer coordinates back and forth between the software and your GPS. You can then use your computer as a backup for you GPS in case something were to happen to your GPS. You can also create a log for your coordinates that you transfered from your GPS.

The software will allow you to transfer points and tracks, where as, the navionics chips give you the whole map in your GPS. If you are looking for something to transfer from your PC to your GPS, I would look into the Lakemaster software.

Flyingfish....(or anyone else) are you telling me that you own a X-15, are using the Lakemaster software on your computer and are capable of transfering waypoint coordinates from the PC to the X-15. I do own a X-15 and the Lakemaster software with MMC card reader and from everything that I have tried (and talked to Lakemaster about) I still have to mark waypoints on the PC, print map with waypoint list out and then manually enter the waypoints into the X-15 unit. Not that big of a deal but it would be nice to be able to transfer waypoints directly from PC to MMC card and then load onto the X-15. I guess the question is, if you are accomplishing this would you please let me know how? It would save time since I probably have another 200 or so waypoints to enter into my X-15 from various lakes. Thanks in advance.

cp150_lg.jpg

Standard has a HSOforum. The chip for Mille Lacs is in 5 foot contours. This unit is much easier to see in sunlight and is easier to read. The 150C unit is the color model that is even supposed to be better. The unit above retails for around 499.99.The Lakemaster reps said the ideal situation would be to run this unit along side an x-15 with the 1 foot contours.

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 02-07-2003).]

The Standard Horizon units are very nice. The color & brightness of the units is very impressive. They require a CMap card that is able to give you 5 foot contours of both the reelbottom lakes as well as the pro series maps. The benefits of the 5 foot contours is that your pages load very fast as you scroll through them, much faster then the X-15. I would imagine that if your boat goes less then 90MPH you would not notice a delay in the page changes.

I am considering running this unit next to my x-15 so I don't have to splip the screens. It is also much easier to read.

Scott I too took a look at the new "preloaded" lakemap chips at the Walleye expo so I know exactly what your talking about. I was just as excited about them as I was when I first started using the original lakemaster software. Just to restate some things about the PC software to X-15 unit discussion. I have had multiple, multiple conversations with Lakemaster tech dept. (great people by the way, always helpful) and from everything that I have been told is that to get the coordinates on the X-15 unit you have to manually enter them in. I have a MMC card reader that plugs into my printer port. In my mind I should be able to transfer coordinates from the software to the MMC card in the reader and then load them from the MMC card onto the X-15 unit???? I maintain contact with Lakemaster on a regular basis and will report any new news when it comes up.

P.S. Scott did you stick that big buck late in the season???

I also looked at the Standard Horizon GPS. They sure do have a nice crisp picture.

The Navionics test chip for the X-15 is completed and being sent to be tested. Once it is tested all they have to do is put them in production. They are still hoping to have them in by the end of the month.

Currently the Lakemaster software cannnot be configured to the X-15, but Lakemaster is working with Lowrance so that the software is compatible with the Map Create software that comes with the X-15 GPS models. They anticipate this to be worked out in the next couple of weeks as well.